New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: How to do increment using Metrics API

api
feature-idea

Please paste the permalink to the page in question below:

Please share your question/describe your issue below. Include any screenshots that may help us understand your question:

Hi,
Metrics API only has Count, Summary and Gauge Metrics available now. I wonder how to do increment ? Thanks!

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Right now increment metrics aren’t available as an option to send in with the Metrics API, as you have discovered.

I’ll get your post turned into a feature idea poll & get this sent up to the development team for review as well :slight_smile:

@Estella.Wang can you say a bit more about what you mean by “Increment”?

If you are asking for how to increment the value of a count type metric I would suggest looking into the Telemetry SDKs as opposed to using the Metric API directly. The Telemetry SDKs are client libraries which provide convenience functions such as Increment() for count metrics. The idea being that you just call the increment function on a metric from your app and the telemetry SDK takes care of sending the count metric to the Metric API on a regular interval.