Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: How to use Application labels in Insights

feature-request
labels
insights
feature-idea

My team tagged our application with label so we could more easily find and filter the applications by several metrics.

Is possible to use these labels in Insights? If not, where can they be used? Seems labels are a bit limited.

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Currently label data is not available inside the insights. You might wanted to use the custom attribute so that that data flow into the Insight for reporting etc.

We are looking for this very same feature.
Labels are very handy and should according to me be implemented consistently across New Relic.
With labels we can easily configure alerts - what makes alerts independent of the hostname or appname, and the same is true for these insights.
We manage multiple services and it would be very handy to filter or group by these labels.
This would give “insights” the feature to get some high level insights of a bigger environment as it drastically reduces the maintenance.

Is there somehow a way for us to leverage these labels in insights?

Labels are a very helpful means to organize applications and monitors. But they should be treated consistently. Labels created in monitors are available in Insights, but the labels from APM applications are missing. In the new Alerts APM metrics can be selected by labels, but not the applications or monitors.

If this could be made more consistent, this would really improve the usefullness of labels. Things belonging together could be assigned the same label values and alerting and reporting with Insights could use the same labels.

This would be especially helpfull to group the applications across NR components.

Great addition, @wkiNewRelic! Thanks for adding your use case to this thread! :blush:

We can’t include every filterable attribute in an entities (Infra or APM) naming convention. This necessitates the use of labels/tags.

Where does this feature addition stand on the development roadmap? Alerting based on labels isn’t a nicety, it’s a necessity when dealing with a microservice architecture.

Hi, @CHRISTOPHER.MCKENNA: You can use labels (APM) and filter sets (Infra) as targets for alert conditions today: