Feature Idea: Ignore_metrics in Prometheus by fields other than Metric name?

Full Stack Observability Question Template

Hi, I came across this doc on how to filter / ignore metrics coming from Prometheus: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/integrations/prometheus-integrations/install-configure-openmetrics/ignore-or-include-prometheus-metrics

However the example only seem to show filtering by metric name. For my use case, I would like to be able to ignore metrics from a different field (e.g label). How can I do that?

Thank you.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @reza1! Welcome to the Explorers Hub! You can select resources to be scraped with labels but not exactly filter or ignore with this approach. I have gone ahead and submitted a Feature Idea for this though, so our Product Development Team will see if this is something we can add in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @nmcnamara thanks for the response. If I can’t do it through ignore_metrics yet, how do I scrape with labels? Thank you

Hi @reza1, I would suggest reading over the documentation for “Configure Prometheus OpenMetrics integrations” , specifically the piece that explains the scrape_enabled_label key name.

I see. But it doesn’t seem to be able to ignore based on label though, correct?

@reza1 That would be correct unfortunately. Its limited on that front, but hopefully the feature idea will gain traction! I have +1 it internally for you :slightly_smiling_face: