Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Ignoring HTTP status codes from a specific Url

feature-request
feature-idea

Is there a way for me to ignore specific HTTP status codes from one specific Url? Looking at this documentation I see that I can ignore the status outright, but I’d like to ignore it for a specific Url.

Why do I want this?
I have a health check endpoint that returns a 503 anytime any one node/server has been taken out of the LB. When the server is taken out, the LB is still hitting the health check endpoint on each individual node causing the 503 to be reported as an error every few seconds while the server is out. I’d like to avoid that.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @mwithum,

There is not a way to ignore a status code for just one page. The closest you can get is to ignore the entire transaction by making the .NET agent API call IgnoreTransaction in your health check code. See https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/dotnet/net-agent-api for more information.

Your idea to ignore a status code on a per page basis is a good one and our PM team is actively monitoring these forums for feature requests such as this one.

Has anyone from NR support figured out a way to ignore certain status codes from specific transactions yet? Since this request was made 2 years ago I am hoping that there is a solution this problem by now

Niyi

@Niyi This hasn’t been implemented. Although this is an interesting feature we don’t get requests for it so I believe it has not been prioritized. I’ll be sure to make another feature request on your behalf.

I’d also like to +1 this. Is the feature request viewable to the public so I can track it?

My support team needs to review any errors as well as APDEX alerts etc. Not being able to add these filters means a lot of false positives for errors.

Happy to put in a feature request for you @kym_mcgain! Thanks for pitching in, my product managers always want to hear about use cases like yours.

Our roadmap for new features it not public facing, but this forum thread will be a great place to check in on for future updates. :blush:

Any update on this feature request (i.e. to support the ability in New Relic to ignore user configurable HTTP error codes for specific URI)? Asking b/c with modern SPA web apps it is very common and normal for applications to return HTTP response codes such as 401 as part of normal application design and behavior. Only supporting the ability to turn off specific HTTP response code for the entire application is too broad. It would be great to get this feature in sooner than later. Thanks

No update to share right now, @michael.vincenty! Thank you for letting us know that you also would like to see this feature be implemented. Please be sure to vote in the poll above and I will make sure our Product Owners see your request. :blush:

Hello.

As an alternative to ignoring, can we have errors that do not raise an alert, but still get logged for analysis?
e.g. 409 Conflict should not break the system, based on how many users are getting this on a particular resource, we can take a better decision for our users.

Hi @tushar.kant,

If you can catch that particular exception within your code, you could then use the NoticeError API method, for example:

try
{
  // Execute some code that may return a 409 error.
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
  NewRelic.Api.Agent.NewRelic.NoticeError(ex);
}

This would report this error to New Relic but would not cause your application to crash. Check out the Notice Error docs for more information.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Anthony