Close icon

Feature Idea: Infrastructure agent should run on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

feature-request
ubuntu
feature-idea
infrastructure
infrastructureagent
rfb

The infrastructure agent should run on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which has been released as stable.

It already runs on Ubuntu 14 and 16, so continued support for the newest and most secure version of Ubuntu would be very welcome.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

+1 Upvote! Will be a huge help!

Thanks @jay7 and @vishesh - and welcome to the Explorers Hub!

I added an official poll to the post so that others can weigh in as well. In the meantime, I will pass this to our team. Please let us know if you have any other details you want to share!

Is there an update on when this will be available? NR Infrastructure loses a lot of its value if we can’t install it on our full server portfolio.

We also have some new servers that are unable to run NRI, please fix this.

I too cannot run the new relic agent on my new server structure due to Ubuntu 18.04lts.

Any news on if this is going to be looked into, or some form of work around?

Thanks
-Jay X Peet

We also need 18.04
It is crazy that New Relic has not made this a priority and completed this yet.

Hi all - @bandtree, @jaytechmedia, @stefanahmanapoex, @patrick_mulvey

At the moment while we don’t have an update right now, this is absolutely on our development team’s radar. That said for now I don’t have a timeline.

We’ve added your +1 to the feature request for now.

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. Is it possible to find out when this could be released and come back to us?

Regards

Hi, I’m a PM with Infrastructure and I completely understand that we need to support Ubuntu 18.04. It is def on our radar/roadmap. We don’t give out timelines but it is fairly high priority.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Ian

We have recently rolled out entire DEV,TST,UAT environments on U 18.04 and have been forced to look for alternatives, which incidentally are a fair bit better priced. NR you guys have really dropped the ball on this one.

I don’t understand how this is considered to be a feature request, because it isn’t. It’s missing functionality that critically undermines Infrastructure’s usefulness. I find it bizarre that you don’t even have a target date for this - it’s a major release of a major OS and it should’ve been supported from day one.

This is causing us serious problems as we now have servers we are unable to monitor with NR. Saying it’s “on your radar” is meaningless; I can’t plan things based on that. So, again, when can we expect support for Infra on 18.04? Is it in active development? Are we looking at a few weeks, 3 months, 6 months? These are not unreasonable questions and I’d appreciate a real answer.

I understand that not having this out-of-the-box reduces some of the value of Infrastructure for some of our customers, @patrick_mulvey. This has been prioritized on the roadmap appropriately, just like our Infrastructure Product Manager mentioned above: this is a high priority and your patience while we get this right is very much appreciated by all of us.

Thank you for sharing your use case with us—it is not lost on us that this is critical for you and your business.

Thanks for getting back to me, but that doesn’t answer my question. I understand it’s on your roadmap. What I am looking for is an indication of how long this is going to take, even if it’s just an estimate.

If I knew of an estimated timeline to share, I wouldn’t be so vague here, @patrick_mulvey.

The Infrastructure Product Manager made it clear above that he is unable to share a date or timeline at this time. I’ll reach out to him to see if he can share an estimate, but as you know, that can be hard to do. Hang tight—and thanks again for sharing your need of this feature.

I understand it’s your policy not to give out timelines, and I understand why. Unfortunately, that falls down a bit in a situation like this where - let’s be honest - you’ve dropped the ball and substantially reduced the effectiveness of the product we’re paying for. The whole point of New Relic is to be a monitoring tool, but now we can’t monitor a significant portion of our infrastructure with it. That’s quite an oversight.

Given that this isn’t really a feature request and more of a support issue, I’d suggest that making an exception and providing a rough timeline would not be unreasonable, and would help your customers to make an informed decision on how to respond.

Hey @patrick_mulvey - thanks so much for your understanding about timelines. I spent some time today talking to the team. We still can’t share a timeline here, unfortunately. What I can tell you is that it’s not just on a list, the team is addressing it. The team wants to deliver this as quickly as you want it. As soon as we can, we will share more details.

Hi @patrick_mulvey, I’m the product manager for Infra responsible for the infra agent. @Linds and @hross have reached out to me to give some clarity on this. I would def agree you can view this as somewhere between a FR and a support issue, its ubuntu after all. We normally don’t give timelines but as the work has been planned in Jira, I don’t mind saying that we’ll have it within a quarter. This of course is giving us some buffer room, but we do understand how important this is.

Please let me know if you have any other questions/comments/concerns.

Ian

Support for Ubuntu 18.04
Infrastructure Agent support for Ubuntu 18.04

Hi @ikavanagh. Thanks for getting back to me and providing a meaningful answer - that’s what I was looking for. We can live with a workaround for the next few months.

As feedback, I have to say I’m somewhat surprised this happened. The OSes you support have clear release schedules, including beta periods. It would be nice to see New Relic commit to supporting future major releases, such as the Ubuntu LTS series, from day one.

Hey @ikavanagh ,

First of all, thanks for the information you’ve provided so far. It is good to see this level of responsiveness to the community.

My question is, when this feature is released, where can we expect to receive notification? Will there be an email announcement and/or post in this thread? I have set up notifications for this thread for now, but would be nice to know for sure. My team has a workaround in place so we can upgrade on schedule, but we are eager to use the new version of the agent as soon as possible.

Also, just wanted to echo @patrick_mulvey here. Support for the latest versions of operating systems on their respective release dates should be prioritized as a feature. It may not seem flashy, but this feature is integral to NR customers’ ability to maintain a modern, secure infrastructure.

Thanks for your help!

–Austin