Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Integration New Relic and Heroku for logs aggregation

heroku
log
feature-idea

Hello!
I’m trying to configure aggregation logs from Heroku app on your platform.
I read the documentation of Heroku and NewRelic. As I understand Heroku uses Logplex for distributing streams of syslog logs and provides a special way (drains) for integration with other services, but NewRelic API doesn’t support this format. it would be the easiest way to integrate if New Relic will support it. Do you have the plan to do it?

Another alternative way that I see to create heroku buildpack with fluentd and collect streams from the dyno and forwarding it to NewRelic through fluent-plugin-newrelic. Are you assume implement buildpack for it or maybe it already exists?

Maybe exists other solution that you can suggest?
Thanks!

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hello @mikhail.lazko, that’s a very interesting use-case. The buildpack idea sounds like a promising solution. This could be something I will try setup as a weekend project! :slight_smile: Have you considered using the Log API and call the NR Log endpoint directly?

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/logs/new-relic-logs/log-api/introduction-log-api

Yes, as i describe in the first part of my comment I considered use drains and API, but Heroku posting requests with a Content-Type header of application/logplex-1 but NR Log API doesn’t support it. I don’t want to implement it in my own code of app because it depends on infrastructure and we use different program languages. It will be better to have an infrastructure solution.

Hi @mikhail.lazko - Thanks for that information.

I’ve converted this post in to a feature idea. Having discussed at length with @abloomer, we’re struggling to come up with possible solutions here. So we have filed a request for you, for our logging capabilities to support the logplex content type, and for a better integration with Heroku for logging.