Feature Idea: Is Distributed Tracing possible for Streaming Applications

Is Distributed Tracing possible for Streaming Applications? When user calls a rest service, it is internally implemented as a streaming application with multiple services(using Kafka) and we provide the response in real time which looks like a request response model. How to do distributed tracing for this kind of application.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

In order to generate tracing data, applications can explicitly declare where to create spans and measure latency by annotating code with a tracer utility!

Hey @kenna178015crook -

As you can see from the doc: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/java-agent/instrumentation/instrument-kafka-message-queues#view-kafka-metrics

The Java agent collects all Kafka consumer and producer metrics (but not connect or stream metrics).

So from my understanding - we don’t support DT on streaming data.

I can get a feature idea filed for you internally though :smiley:

So as to produce following information, applications can unequivocally proclaim where to make ranges and measure inactivity by commenting on code with a tracer utility!

Hi @willieken49

I’m not sure I understand your message, could you please clarify? Thanks!