Feature idea: Kubernetes (k8s) on ARM

I’m trying to instrument Kubernetes (k8s) running on ARM (arm64) with microk8s. However the container used for logging k8s seems to fail on startup. Upon further investigation, it appears that the container does not support ARM.

Could you please add multi-platform support so New Relic can instrument Kubernetes Clusters running on ARM?

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

1 Like

Hi @david26!

I have submitted this as a feature idea on your behalf. Our product team will review and if there is any update, I will keep you posted.

HI,
Roberto from NR Engineering here. Thanks for sharing this concern! Most of our docker images are multiarch images, meaning that the container runtime will automatically pick the correct one for the current architecture it is running on.

Unfortunately the logging image still does not support this, and instead we provide two different tags, one for x86 and another one for arm64. We’ll try to add multiarch capabilities to the logging image so this works transparently for that one as well.

In the meantime, you can try to manually override the image tag and set it to 1.7.0-arm64. If you installed the New Relic solution with our nri-bundle helm chart, you can do that by specifying --set newrelic-logging.image.tag=1.7.0-arm64 in the CLI or in the values file.

BR,
Roberto

1 Like

hey @david26, sharing an update on this, the multi-arch image has actually been published now (see latest image here). If you are using Helm, the correspondent chart has also been updated so this should unblock your use case on ARM.
Thanks for sharing this and helping us improve the product.

1 Like