Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Lettuce Support

feature-idea

Hi all!

With Spring Boot 2.0, Spring has changed the default Redis client from Jedis (which is supported by the New Relic agent) to Lettuce (which isn’t). Lettuce is also the only supported client for use with Reactive Spring Data Redis.

Specially now that New Relic supports Spring WebFlux, it would be great if it would also support Lettuce instrumentation.

Thanks.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@jcarvalho - Thanks for posting this feature idea here - I’ll get that passed along to the product teams internally here. I also added a poll here for you so others can add their feedback here. :smiley:

Hi there,
Is there any news for Lettuce support?
Thanks
Andres

Nothing new to share right now, @andres.lorenzatti! Be sure to add in your vote above!

If you have specifics about your use case to share, please do so! I will be happy to pass along your interest to our Product Management team.

I don’t really like Lettuce… I just use it as a salad dressing delivery mechanism. :slight_smile:

Any Updates on this? Lettuce is becoming the de-facto standard for a lot of non-blocking Java apps using Redis. We are facing the same problem. It will be great if New Relic would add support for this client.

Hi @tiwaria -

This is not on the roadmap at this time. You may be able to leverage custom instrumentation in the mean time. We have some docs to get you started on this path: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/manage-apm-agents/agent-data/custom-instrumentation

Thank you. The link that you’ve shared seems very helpful.

Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with while we await an update to the feature idea

Lettuce is the default redis client with Spring boot and Spring Webflux. Do we have support for this now?

I don’t have an update currently - I can get your +1 added internally though. :slight_smile:

@RyanVeitch Thanks for the reply. I recently started using New Relic Java Agent. Some major features missing are:

1. Spring Kafka Instrumentation (kafka not getting recognised and calls from kafka consumer to external services are not coming up as well)
  2. Kafka Streams (same issues as Spring Kafka
  3. Redis (Using Lettuce, not getting recognised at all)
    I tried enabling them using extensions and pointcut but it says that it won’t happen as these are already instrumented which I can clearly see is not the case)
    Really hope to see this with upcoming releases :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll pass that on to the Java agent team :smiley: