New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Live throughput deviation alert

feature-idea

Looking to create an alert to monitor positive/negative deviations of current data when compared with recent past data. Specifically a positive or negative jump of at least 5% in the current data when compared with the same data from 3-5 min prior.

Alert would be used for monitoring throughput of web application.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @pboon I know that Baseline alerts look at historical data to build it’s algorithms for calculating data deviations, not just recent data. That said you may be able to achieve what you are looking for with them. Can you let me know if you’ve tried that and if so, where it is failing for you?

Hey @pboon - I wanted to follow up here since I caught up with @cwhite.

Caitlin let me know that you have a support ticket that she has been helping with for this issue.

According to Caitlin, it was determined that baselines do not work when the goal is alerting on the ‘rate of change’. As opposed to baselines functionality - which is a deviation from an established pattern.

She also mentioned that a potential workaround mentioned in your ticket is to use NRQL and a script to make calls the Insights API.
I’m very eager to hear how that goes for you, so please do post back here if you get a solution for that.

In the meantime, we’ll go ahead and get a feature idea filed and a poll added for you here :slight_smile:

Hey @RyanVeitch, Yeah I spoke with Caitlin and another TSE about this issue yesterday. Posted this to the forum based on their recommendation. Haven’t started on the script work for this functionality yet but will soon.

Will definitely reply if I get a solution.

Excellent! Thanks so much for that :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to hearing how it goes.