Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Missing percentage for Memory monitoring

memory
monitoring
feature-idea
infrastructure

Hi New Relic forum members,

I might have missed this feature, or it’s located somewhere else, but I don’t see any option to monitor Memory percentage load. I work with a wide variety of VM’s which range from 2GB tot 64GB of Memory size.

From Infrastructure -> Settings -> Alerts -> Data Source -> SystemSample I can see CPU and Disk % load, but not for Memory.

I know it’s possible in the “Servers” product, so it seems strange to not include it in the Infrastructure product.

Thanks in advance.
Stefan

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @s.ijff

Memory in Infrastructure is tracked as physical amounts instead of percentage, so in terms of RAM usage, it’s Memory Free, Memory Total and Memory Used.

If you’re trying to alert when memory is low, then you can define the exact amount of RAM at which you deem it critical and need to be alerted.

Is there something specific about memory percentage that is useful for you in some capacity, this could be a feature request I can file for you, so it would be good to know if this is something useful for you in certain scenarios.

@acuffe while you are providing a work around, the feature request is to add % memory free or utilities so that an alert can be created for say critical if above/below/etc of 5% memory free or 95% utilization

i’d even add the fact the same metric for swap is missing too ( % swap)

imo this is just an oversight that its not already in NR Infra because it is actually available in NR Servers.

Great input, @akemner—I will be sure to pass this along to our product team. Thanks for pitching in here! :blush:

The following NRQL queries will get you the same kind of alerts now that you can alert on a faceted NRQL query.

SELECT average((memoryUsedBytes/memoryTotalBytes)*100) as percentage FROM SystemSample facet hostname

For Swap Usage used it would be very similar

SELECT average((swapUsedBytes/swapTotalBytes)*100) as percentage FROM SystemSample facet hostname