New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Monitor CPUCreditUsage & CPUCreditBalance - EC2 T2 instances

feature-request
infrastructure
rfb

I’d like to see a feature added where we can graph and alert on two metrics CPUCreditUsage and CPUCreditBalance for EC2 T2 type instances.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/t2-instances.html#t2-instances-monitoring-cpu-credits

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

:thumbsup: @akemner! I will pass this along to our product team. Be sure to vote in the poll I have added. Thanks so much!

Added my vote. Just to put this into more context: the t2 instances become unusable when the credit balance is exhausted, as hey are throttled down to 1/5 of the original performance. So an alert like this is as important as one for CPU utilization being stuck to 100%.

Excellent context—thank you for adding @g.sironi!

Adding our workaround in case people want to do this: we are monitoring the CPU Steal metric that New Relic Infrastructure collects. Even a small value of this (>20%) is usually correlated with a low credit balance, albeit it will only go up if the CPU is actually being used.

Hello!

cpuCreditBalance, cpuCreditUsage, cpuSurplusCreditBalance and cpuSurplusCreditsCharged metrics are attached to the ComputeSample event type, with a provider value of Ec2Instance. If you have enabled the EC2 cloud integration, find them in New Relic Insights. For example, try this query:

`SELECT `provider.cpuCreditBalance.Minimum`, ec2InstanceType from ComputeSample WHERE ec2InstanceType LIKE 't2%'

Regards!

Helena Pujol
Product Manager, Cloud Integrations