Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: More Flexibility in NRQL Results Display

insights
feature-idea

Vote Here!

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

NRQL - SELECT using FACET - only Top 10!?

Hi All,
Is there a way to get more than only the top 10 when I run this type of query

SELECT average(duration) FROM PageView WHERE appName='app-name' FACET pageUrl SINCE 1 week ago

Is it possible to see more than the top 10? Using paging? I couldn’t find it in the Docs

Hey @Brian_Telus

You should use the LIMIT clause as described here. It defaults to 10, but you could set a limit of 500 etc to increase your number of returned results.

Bah couldn’t find it. Makes sense!

Maybe as a feature request is to put a record indicator in the return data?

Thanks!

Ah I see now.
I tried with a coma. So we don’t have any ability to do paging?

Hi @Brian_Telus - the results will all be returned as one set. The default is 10 and the maximum for a single query is LIMIT 1000. Can you tell us more about what you’re needing here so that if Insights doesn’t offer the feature you’re looking for, we can pass your feedback on?

I’d be nice to get the ‘next 100’. If I wanted the next 100 I would have to adjust my WHERE statement to exclude the data I’m already looking at.

Its counter intuitive to me. I have experience with MSSQL and MySQL and I know that MSSQL controls paging using cursors on the application side rather than MySQL that does it within the language itself. So what I’m asking for is that the NRQL tool have a ‘next page’ button if I couldn’t control the paging using the LIMIT statement (LIMIT 400, 100 for the 4th page)

I think what I’m wanting to understand here is the purpose of paging through the returned data, rather than taking all 500 results (assuming there are 500). What is the gain from this behavior that isn’t possible just by getting all the results?

Yes it would.

However that is a lot of data to work with. Especially since I can’t ‘order by’ (it seems to ignore the fields I indicate) it really makes it hard to digest the data as I often have to go on a NRQL tangent to get the data I need. This can be distracting when you are working with a teammate trying to explain the data. Its also helpful if you are trying to digest your data in batches rather than one giant block.

Thanks so much for sharing your use-case and details on how you see this feature working for you! I’ve created a feature request with your suggestions. =)

I’ll add that is a big deal for any of your high $$ clients who are big, monitor many transactions and consequently have queries that regularly return more than 1000 results. I get having a limit on LIMIT of 1000, that’s fine, but a lot of us will need to go paginate past the 1000th record. (I noticed that this doesn’t seem to work yet, though OFFSET is a legit keyword)

While we’re making pagination requests, I’ll throw in my vote for using OFFSET rather than pagination tokens. The former has more uses than the later and is sometimes easier to digest. Also, I’m noticing that on a the returned item count and total count (including items outside the offset/limit) are not included in the json response body. IMHO, those make life MUCH better for an API consumer. They make it so you don’t have to query past the last record to know that you’ve queried to the end.

Thanks!

Hey @brooks.adcock! Thank you so much for all the details you provided, especially when it comes to companies of all sizes.

I will be passing your input along to our Product team—they will be happy to know how you are being affected by this and I’m sure your thoughts will get their wheels turning. :gear:

Please be sure to also vote in the poll above! Thanks again.

Hi,

I see this thread is about a year old; has a solution or a workaround been found? I am looking to export 10,000+ rows of error events occurring in the past week. As it stands I can only get the top 1,000 rows for a given date range.

Thank you,
George

Looks like the vote is still out, @gmoreasjr! Thanks for sharing your use case with us! I will make sure that @hshapiro and @misaacson see this since you are right: it has been a while without any updates. :blush: Thanks!

Hi, We are trying to track user interaction behavior using new relic and we have over 20000 users using our application. I can only see what are top 1000 users. Is there a way to get all users data ?

Hey there, @keyurishah! The limit is currently 1000 results.

We have another feature idea thread that you should vote on since it talks about the very same thing you are wanting to see!

We love hearing everyone’s use case behind new ideas! :blush: Thanks!

Thanks for this! I couldn’t fathom why certain queries appeared to be “truncating” items from the list returned.