New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Need free text section header in Insight Dashboards

dashboard
insights

Hi,

I am looking for a text section (like notes) to use as a section header/ sub-header in insight dashboards. I have a app for my application which includes 5-6 dashboards. Each dashboard reflects monitoring about a module in my application. In each dashboard I have separate sections for submodules which I need to categorize & separate out from other section for support users. (so that they can identify which section is for UI, service, DB etc inside one module). Currently I am using notes for that purpose & keeping charts from different section separated from other section. But the problem with note is there is a minimum height defined for notes. So when I stretch it to fill a 3 col - 1 row layout, after placing the section tile most of the space is left blank & people starts thinking something is missing in there.
So what I want is a component like note (or note itself) where I can bring down the height to 1-2 lines even.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi there @Sayan_Ghosh -

Thank you for this particular use case! I can definitely see the use of a customizable text field for labeling/explaining Insights charts. I added a poll and moved this into the Feature Idea categories. We’ll share this with the team as well.

It would be great to have finer control on the grid layout that is used for the widgets on Insights dashboards especially for tabular format data. If you write a query to get the top 10 slowest transactions for example it has to be sized to double widget height and you end up with a large chunk of white space.

Howdy @stefan_garnham - does this existing feature idea cover what you’re expressing here?

Yes it does @hross. I felt that this may have been similar and didn’t remember that there was an existing poll

Well. There’s a first time for everything @stefan_garnham! I usually rely on you to remember all the Feature Ideas! :wink:

I raised so many, including with Service reviews, Futurestack attendances and TAM meetings that I cannot remember which ones are where :dizzy_face:

What @stefan_garnham is asking is more of big picture. If a solution like he is asking can be implemented, that should cover my problem as well.
For immediate solution if we can get a customizable free text section with some word design features would be great.

Thanks for that additional context @Sayan_Ghosh

Actually now there is a new Add Dashboard Note action button on the top right of the dashboard screen that should solve it.

Hey @dungari - I’m glad to hear Dashboard Notes are helpful for you. The fact that they can be enlarged to cover the top of a dashboard & support markdown, makes them really useful for dashboard descriptions. :smiley: