Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: .Net APM Agent w3wp process not found

.net
feature-idea

I know now that in order for the .Net APM Agent to discover the applications that you have to install the agent on an active Node in your IIS Farm.

Since we have F5 load balancers sometimes the node may be marked as passive and if it stays in that state long enough there will be no w3wp processes.

I added a quick check to my powershell script to check for w3wp processes and not run the .net agent install.
I wrote a script a long time ago to install the server agent and will update this to install the .Net agent.

The bottom line is that you have to check to see if the IIS node is active and has the w3wp process. I would like to see the check below added to the .Net Script with a better message that you should check that this is the active node.

Please add this as a feature request.
######################
try{
Import-Module webadministration
}
catch {
write-host “Web Adminstration Module from IIS not found”
}

$websites = (Get-Website).Name
$webState = (Get-Website).State
$w3wp = (get-process -name w3wp -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)

if ($websites -eq ‘Default Web Site’){write-host “Default web site found”}
if ($webState -eq “Started”) {write-host “Default web site started”}
if (!$w3wp) {write-host “w3wp Process not found”}

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Thank you so much for jumping in and adding your interest, @john.monroe! I have added a poll so we can collect votes around your feature idea.