Feature Idea: .NET CORE / ASP.NET 5 (vNEXT)

Vote for .NET Core Support here!

  • I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.


So it’s all excitement and change over at Microsoft, eh?

Probably still early to be asking this, but: will New Relic be supporting the CoreCLR?

@rendle sorry but we can’t reveal any surprises before the big change at Microsoft at this point, but I recommend keeping an eye on https://newrelic.com/docs/features/new-noteworthy for updates.

What’s the status on this? We are using ASPNET 5 (formerly vNext) and cannot get New Relic to work.

@hfjallemark no news at this point. We’re excited about supporting vNext but I don’t have a concrete timeline. We might have a better idea once the new ASP.NET version is out of preview and we have a stable public release.

Still no news on this ? :slight_smile: Would be awesome with an beta/alpha or something to try out.

@QuietWyatt, Do you have any recent updates on any support for vNext? Thanks!

Hey @enigma thanks for posting. At this point, we don’t have a concrete timeline, but as @QuietWyatt mentioned, we might have a better idea once ASP.NET 5 is out of RC, and into a stable release (which hopefully should be soon)

Any update on using NewRelic in ASP .NET 5…?

Hi @anandhasundari_m - No updates right now; I have gone ahead and sent in your request as a feature request. Thank you!

Hi. Why do you need to wait until the final release?? I mean, we need to get ready for the launch and for that we need to make sure we’ll be able to use NR. I’m very disappointed because I know that after the launch it will be months until you release a decent version that we could already be testing and giving feedback.

Howdy @rtodorov - you make incredibly good points and I completely understand your disappointment - and I thank you for being so candid.

It’s nice to have access to these items to test and prepare your business and heck, we want you to be able to use NR too!

I am submitting a feature request for you; I am also reaching out to see if I can find out any more information on this status. I can’t promise anything at this point; I am trying to find out more information to bring back here.


How did you get on with finding out more info?

We use New Relic for all of our other apps so using something else for vNext/ASP.NET 5/ASP.NET Core 1.0 will be a monumental pain.

I just need to know whether to hang on if you are actually close or bite the bullet and find something else.



@rob_symonds - I am hoping to have an update next week. I wish I could promise something - I do promise to update either way.

And crikey! I can see where you’re coming from. Yes - you want to be consistent and use New Relic - which you can’t. Using the same stack simplifies so much! Frustrating :frowning:

I will be back in here next week to let you know what I find out.

1 Like

@rob_symonds - I am still working on this! I am sorry about the delay; I do want to reassure you that I am still here and working on it!

1 Like

Hi, similar to @rob_symonds, we have NewRelic embedded in to existing products on multiple platforms on multiple servers for years now. Our support engineers love it to be able to track issues before they become problems for our customers. Our new products on ASPNET core/ASP.NET 5 are under development because we know our customers will want them close to the official release as possible. I really need to be able to include NewRelic telemetry in at this early stage - adding later will be more difficult.

Right now, without any clue as to your timelines I am faced with a decision. Do I keep my fingers crossed for NewRelic, or plan to swap the entire monitoring platform? Its going to be expensive to reengineer existing products - but really unacceptable to have them split over anything but a very short term.

If we knew a rough guide - we wont hold you to a date - but something, a number of months after RC or 6 months from now, or we are not even working on it yet.

I am going to have to make that decision in the next month or so. I’ll end up being a bit upset if we have to move and then you announce availability!

Hi all, and of course @rob_symonds - I may need a fair bit longer on this: a week or two to figure it out. I know that is likely the opposite of what you want to hear and I am sorry :frowning: I will get this thread updated asap.

@john.price - I hear you on this - I am going to get your request submitted and as you can read above, I am working on finding out more info.

hi John and others on the thread,

Apologies for the late reply here but better late than never. The entire .NET agent team, as you might have been able to guess from the release notes:


have been 100% heads down on updates to the agent to support asynchronous code paths in .NET applications. We’ve only recently been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and at this point we’re relatively confident in a plan that gets us full support for Async and parity with the existing agent in a couple months, with releases every 2 weeks getting us closer toward that goal.

Given that clarity, we’re now exploring what the first non-async sets of work are that we want to attack and ASP.NET 5 is one of the, if not the top thing on the list. I can’t promise a date at this point but at a minimum it won’t arrive this quarter but we’ll be working to see if there’s something that we can deliver incrementally next quarter.

Apologies I can’t give anything more definitive than that, happy to chat on the phone if you’d like more detail and / or would like to chat more about what specifically you’re looking for out of ASP.NET with the New Relic agent.




Hi AJ, are there any updates?

Since official support doesn’t seem likely any time soon, I’ll be starting soon on some custom middleware to at least get some basics easily accessible/available:


Hopefully should have an initial proof-of-concept by the end of next week!

1 Like