Feature Idea: .NET Garbage Collection Monitoring

Please share your agent version and other relevant versions below:

Agent 5.1.72.0
.NET 4.0.30319.34014

Please share your question/describe your issue below. Include any screenshots that may help us understand your question:

.NET Agent does not report on Garbage Collection statistics out of the box. I’ve noted support for this in Ruby and JVM Agents, and am hoping there is a plan to include related support for the .NET Agent. There is a plugin that supports these metrics (Perfmon) but it was written 2+ years ago and only support 32-bit. Is there a solution I’m missing or plans to support this in the future?

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @ryan_hall

I’ve reached out to our .NET Agent devs for our upcoming developers meeting with support to see if this is something already being considered.

Regardless, I’ve opened a new feature request on your behalf for the inclusion of GC metrics with the agent and appreciate voicing your interest!

@netheroth - I am also looking at monitoring .net garbage collection, do you have this feature available on NewRelic now?

I also second the question about when it will be possible to monitor .Net processes in detail like it can be done in Java and other.

Thanks for letting me know, @Vasili.Puchko! I will pass your input along—be sure to participate in the poll above as well!

Also, this plugin might be a way to monitor GC performance counters for now. This plugin is NOT SUPPORTED by New Relic, but I am sharing it because I know others have had success with using it. We would all love to hear back from you should this workaround/option meet your needs! Check back here for future updates.