Feature Idea: New Relic Java agent JSON logging

The New Relic Java agent is not configurable to modify the format in which it logs. To standardise the logging format, the component we are using New Relic for is using JSON logging as configured in a logback file.

This breaks the convention of the default New Relic logging, which outputs according to its own format and does not adopt logback.

An example message from the Java agent:

Feb 25, 2019 15:42:53 +0100 [7331 1] com.newrelic INFO: Using default collector host: collector.newrelic.com

I would like it to be configurable with either a VM argument, logback, or another way in which format New Relic outputs its logs. Logback would be preferred, as this means the user can define the output instead of relying on an implementation from New Relic. However, if this hinders implementing it correctly, a VM flag for logging to x format would be an option as well.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @derk.schooltink -

Thanks for posting your feature idea here. I’ve got that added here internally and I’ve added a poll here for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would suggest that this feature is agent agnostic and would be great if it was implemented across all agents.

With no logging analysis straight out of the box with New Relic, we are looking at a unified logging solution across our stack. Having a standard format for logs helps simplify configuration of these solutions enabling us to get on with the fun and interesting challenges :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your use case and ideas, @stefan_garnham! I will pass this along. :blush:

2 Likes