Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: NewRelic Windows Server agent with alternative hostname

feature-idea

Hi,

Can the NewRelic Windows Server agent be configured to use an alternative hostname?

I’m using automated installation of the agents on AWS EC2 instances, and want the reported server name to match the EC2 name. I appreciate you can do this through the web console, but I’m looking for a way to automate the process as part of installation.

Thanks,
Mike

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi Mike,

You can specify an alternate name by creating a Windows registry entry. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > New Relic > Server Monitor and then add an entry like this:

Name                   Type                     Data
Host                   REG_SZ                   NewServerName

You should be able to automate this using a Power Shell script. You will need to restart WSM for this change to take effect.

Note that changing the host name this way will break the links between application dashboards and the server dashboard. These links normally allow you to click to the server dashboard from the application dashboard and vice-versa.

Thanks!

Ted.

Hey Mike,

One other option is to include the host name when performing a command-line install. Like this:

msiexec.exe /i NewRelicServerMonitor_XXX.msi /norestart /quiet NR_LICENSE_KEY=<license key> NR_HOST=<host name> /lv* nr_server_install.log

This is an unadvertised feature but should work fine.

Ted.

Thanks, that’s just what I was after.

I just got the registry setting working, but the install parameter is a lot easier! :smile:

Will this work for the .NET agent on a web site?

Hello Gerardog,

At this time there is no way to modify the host name that is reported by the agent. This is one of the reasons Ted was clear that modifying the host name reported for the Windows Server Monitor will break the link between the host reported in the application’s Overview dashboard and the server reporting.

There have been some discussions about this, especially with consideration to AWS EC2 instances that have the same host name. Keep an eye on our News & Noteworthy page for any changes on this.

Cheers!
Kyle

Is still not work for the .NET agnet on an APM?

@guitarrapc There have been no changes on this. Our .NET agent developers have had most of their focus on getting the async features implemented and working on ensuring any resulting bugs are addressed as soon as possible. The option for modifying the host name reported by the agent is still under consideration by our product managers, but we have no ETA on when/if the feature will be implemented at this time.

I will add you to the request list for this feature. Thank you for adding your voice as we use additional requests for specific features when determining implementation priority.

I can’t spot this in the release notes, unless otherwise please add my voice as a request for this feature.
With my current understanding I believe it would support quicker deployment using AWS elastic beanstalk since I would not need to use the ec2configservice, to script changing the machine name to the instance id via a custom AMI when using Elastic Beanstalk. Rather I could use an .ebextension config file and script the newrelic config to substitute the host name. I don’t want to break relationship between the app and the server dashboards as per the suggested work arounds above.

Andrew

We are currently waiting on this functionality. To us it is not worth the time to restart an instance when autoscaling to change the hostname in order to see split out servers in our APM reporting. If there was a setting to report as the AWS ID instead of the hostname we would use it!
Cale

Any updates on this?

We would love this feature as Linux supports it but .Net does not. Currently our hostnames internally are accessible but we have to look them up before we know which instance it actually is.