Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: No redis metrics using newrelic-php

php
feature-idea
redis
feautre-idea

Hi everyone

We are trying to monitor our application (php5) requests towards our redis cluster. So far we monitor memcache, mongo and mysql without any issues however no metrics can be seen for redis.

The newrelic-php5 plugin is installed from the apt.newrelic repo and the newrelic agent is running but still no data for redis.

Any idea how to approach this?

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi JIm,
Unfortunately, our PHP agent doesn’t currently support instrumentation of the RedisCluster() constructor.

The PHP agent team is aware of the demand for this feature but I can’t specify when instrumentation for this specific constructor will be added to the agent.

In the meantime, @linds or @hross will help you add a poll to this feature idea and file this with our engineering team. The product manager considers customer demand when determining which features to add to the product roadmap, and a poll will help them know that there’s a demand for this feature.

Cheers!

We’ve just moved from memcache to redis and it’s a real shame we have lost our metrics. We used to see how long was spent in memcache but since moving to redis the relevant metric is invisible, it’s included in the PHP time and hence provides no insights into how long we are spending caching our data in redis.

(I can’t seem to vote in the Poll in this Topic, not sure why)

Hi @tomfotherby - sorry about the broken poll. I got that updated for you. And thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us!

When can we get this support, I see Predis cluster support has been released but not for phpredis. We could implement the same with custom_db_segment but that hinders the latency of the commands that are made by phpredis internally such as -cluster slots.

That is an interesting use case, @chinmay.gupta! I have passed it along to our PHP Product Manager so she can review.

Be sure to also vote in our poll above! Please feel free to watch this thread for any future updates regarding timing and progress. Thanks!