Feature Idea: [Node] JS `Memory/` metrics use inconsistent and misleading scaling in metrics explorer

The NodeJS agent reports memory metrics by default: Memory/Heap/Free, Memory/Heap/Max, Memory/Heap/Used as well as Memory/NonHeap/Used and Memory/Physical. All of these values are reported in MiB (see Node.js VM measurements | New Relic Documentation, as well as the sources of the agent https://github.com/newrelic/node-newrelic/blob/dda817ff6c0d9560f1f809973d104d8e6717eddc/lib/stats/index.js#L68).

But, the explorer for these metrics applies scaling to the values, and the factors are inconsistent and misleading:

1. Memory/Heap/Free and Memory/NonHeapUsed use the *1000 scaling which NR in another thread tried to define as “that’s because typically values are seconds, so we make your life nicer”.
  2. Memory/Heap/Max, Memory/Heap/Used, and Memory/Physical get scaled with *1000000, which makes a bit more sense because then we get (just about) bytes, which the UI helpfully labels on the axes with M/G etc prefixes.

The impact of that? When you’re exploring your memory situation, your free memory and non-heap used memory are off by a factor of 1000. Not cool.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 20.31.39

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @ankon_framer

Congrats on your first post in the community! I hope you are well.

Great questions, I have looked over this and unfortunately its out of my scope. However Im here to get the support needed to get this issue cleared up.

I will loop in the engineering team to have a look. They will reach out here with their findings.

Should you have any additional questions, please do reach out!

1 Like

Hi @ankon_framer -

This sounds like good grounds for a feature request - you can submit feedback directly to us using the Submit Feedback button up in the top right corner of the UI. I know it’s easy to feel as though these ‘feedback’ buttons are just sending comments into the void, but anything you send us is directly reviewed by the relevant product manager! So please do send us your suggestions and comments.

Well, I actually posted it here because this allows me to

1. Provide enough details (compared to just “does NR work for you?” and a small plain input box)
  2. There’s a better chance that other people see it as well, even if you might not. This is important for me: Working out the problem, describing it, etc is work, and the feedback box looks like a black hole where that work might just get lost.

But I guess that’s another feedback for the box? :slight_smile:

@ankon_framer … You have asked some great questions. I am also looking forward to see the answers.

Hey there @ankon_framer,

I have filed a feature idea on your behalf with our team through Aha. We will reach out here further as we receive updates and if the team has further questions for you to help facilitate the request, they will reach out here as well. We appreciate your patience as we continue to provide support.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with as well. I hope you have a great day!

2 Likes