New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Notes In Alert Condition Definition

feature-idea

There is no convenient place to store notes about Alert definitions. It would be handy to be able to record information about why limits were set at specific values or why a particular Alert was set up in the first place. A simple “Notes” textbox in the Alert definition form would give us the ability to keep this information together with the Alert that it relates to.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi!
This will be released to production within a couple of weeks for NRQL Conditions and Infrastructure Alert Conditions. Today, we just exposed the NerdGraph API for NRQL Conditions. Very soon we will add the field to this API for templated descriptions. Beyond a simple text area that will be passed along with resultant Violations, we will also be supporting {{handlebar}} style template substitution that will allow you to insert any of the attributes that are available in the Violation Object. Therefore, when your condition covers a large number of signals, the description that is included with violations and notifications is specific to the signal that created the violation.
For NRQL Conditions, the first access to this will be by API. In a few months, a UI for NRQL Conditions will be available in the new NR One platform, and we will expose this new field there. For Infrastructure conditions, you will be able to edit this field in the UI and in the REST API.

Stay tuned for this to be released very soon, and hold tight as we migrate the Alerts management user experience to the new NR One platform.

Regards,
Brian Goleno , Alerts Product Manager

Customize alert content - need more context!

Brian,

I think there is some confusion here. The feature you describe sounds like it would include the contents of the note with notifications sent when the Alert triggers. What I would like is a text area for the owner/maintainer of the Condition to keep supporting documentation that would not be seen outside of the page where the Condition is managed.

Examples of the types of notes I’m thinking of are, “Upper limit set to 10.3 based on recommendation from Bob.” or “This condition is only needed until version 2.0.7 is deployed.”

Thanks,
-JLS

Yes! that use case is different to the feature Brian describes.

I’ll get it logged internally to Brian & team for you.