New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: NRQL Alert Name Help

alerts
feature-idea
violations

Is it possible to make the ‘name’ that incidents provide for an alert more useful than:

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @tim.davis - The text following triggered is the condition name. Is it the SystemSample query that you are interested in changing?

If so - I don’t believe that this will be possible.

Otherwise, you can absolutely add context to your condition name, such that WarnLoadAvgTestFiveMinute has more actionable detail.

If it is that you want to change the SystemSample query section of that, let me know and I’ll get a feature request filed for you :smiley:

Would prefer it to be warningwhatever trigger on facet details

Understood! I’ll get that added in as a feature request for you. :slight_smile:

This is something that is definitely in need of improving. We have recently done a few things to improve the immediate usefulness of alert notifications and violations.

• For Infrastructure and APM Violations, we are adding all Entity Tags to the violation and including them with the subsequent notification. We are working on adding Entity identification and tag integration to NRQL conditions as well. We do not send tags to Slack because of the number of tags that may be present, but see the “description” bullet below.

• For NRQL Conditions, you can add multiple attributes to the FACET clause in NRQL to specify which Attribute key:value pairs from your time series query result (aka ‘the signal’) are passed through to Alerts, and therefore included with your violations and notifications. I think of these as “signal tags”, as they are embedded within the signal that you send us.

• We have added templated descriptions to conditions. This description field supports variable substitution, allowing you to include values from Tags (entity and signal tags) in the description text that is attached to violation and sent with notifications. see more info in the docs : https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/defining-conditions/alert-condition-descriptions

• We have plans to allow the “title” of a violation to be user definable using the same template model that we introduced with Templated Descriptions. I am hoping to get this feature later in the year, but we do not have it scheduled yet.

This may be a stupid question, but, is there video showing these newer features yet? I am more of a visual vs RTFM type of learner.

How do I get hostname as a parameter in the description in Infra?

Hey @tim.davis,

First of all, there’s no stupid questions :stuck_out_tongue:!

Second of all, there isn’t a video showing the new feature on Templated Descriptions in Alerts but let me see if i can offer some help.

Just below the Name field for your alert condition, theres a space for the description. The description will show up when you get a notificaiton on the notification channel you’ve configured for the policy.

Here I have used the example from the docs page Brian Goleno linked above to show how it looks in the New Relic Infrastructure Alerts interface. I have {{ tag.fullHostname }} attribute in my description text. This will be converted to the actual hostname when I get an alert meeting this condition.

Here’s an example of an email alert notification. You will see that the {{tag.fullHostname}} and {{conditionName}} attributes have been parsed into their corresponding values.

You can find what all attributes are supported for Alert Descriptions at this link:
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/defining-conditions/violation-event-attributes

Let me know if there’s anything else you needed clarification on, I hope that these visual aides helped you understand how to use the Templated Descriptions feature a bit better.

Alert Description Enhancement

I will have to try again. tag.fullHostname didn’t work on my initial infrastructure alert tests.

My other question is if there is a way to see the available metatags available to a specific alert. For a file system alert, I would want the file system that is at risk also, but that may be different than the options for other things being monitored.

Hi @tim.davis

you can view all available attributes (which includes all metatags) of any event type by querying the event type being used.

If the alert condition is a NRQL condition,

SELECT keyset() FROM EventType

If the alert condition is an Infrastructure condition, you can make the same query, but you’ll need to translate the condition type to determine which event type to focus on:

• Host Metrics: SystemSample
  • Network Metrics: NetworkSample
  • Process Metrics: ProcessSample
  • Storage Metrics: StorageSample

I hope this helps!

This helps a ton. Thank you.

:smile: Great! Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with!