Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: NRQL Alert Not Working

feature-idea

I’ve created a NRQL Alert.

Query:
SELECT average(duration) FROM SyntheticCheck WHERE monitorName = ‘xxx’

Static threshold:
When query returns results greater that 6000 for 6 minutes.
Evaluation offset = 3.

The problem is that it does not trigger an alert. I’ve played around with the numbers but the preview chart only shows an alert condition when I set the static threshold to 1 minute.

What am I doing wrong here?

A couple things are possible, here. Could you drop us a link to the condition you’ve created for this? That will help us get to the bottom of it.

For those following along at home, @Scott.Hancock emailed me a link to a condition with the following NRQL query (anonymized):

SELECT average(duration) FROM SyntheticCheck WHERE monitorName = 'MONITOR_NAME

The issue here is that Synthetics checks don’t run every minute, however; alerts looks at NRQL data on a minutely basis. So Alerts is seeing something like 5000, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6500, 0, 0, 0, 0 (totally made up numbers). Your condition is setup to look for a series of checks with a duration above the threshold you’ve set, but the data spikes up when there is a check and then comes through our system as a 0 for the minutes where there is no check.

Your best course of action is to use a sum of query results, or to be at least once in but these both have tradeoffs. The former may result in some notification you would want to see being missed, and the latter may result in a more noisy condition than you’re hoping for.

If you have any other specifics about the use case you’re solving for, (eg “I want to know when N consecutive checks exceed the threshold”) then please let us know! If it’s the case that our current implementation doesn’t quite meet your needs we can submit a feature idea so that @nheinrich (the Alerts product manager) can make sure he hears your vote.

Thanks!

I’ve been playing around with your suggestions and it’s clunky. As you mentioned, I want to know when N consecutive checks exceed the threshold. I want to be alerted when the system is on it’s way to failing.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

This is a pretty common feature idea! Let’s get @Linds to create a poll so we can get your vote.