Feature idea: NRQL Carriage Returns for Formatting

I think this is a feature request, unless there is a way to do this I haven’t found.

NRQL can get quite complex, and carriage returns can be very helpful for formatting. The various text inputs for NRQL, including alert conditions and the data explorer, do not support a simple way to add carriage returns (that I have found). Many editors elsewhere use CMD-ENTER, or some other shortcut.

The workaround I found is to use copy/paste, either for the fully formatted NRQL, or just the carriage returns. However, this can get annoying, and other developers that edit my queries often don’t know the workaround, and they are sometimes confused about how to proceed.

Thank you.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

2 Likes

Hi @rraposa, I have submitted a feature idea for our product development team to review. If there is any movement on this, I will update this thread.

1 Like

As a workaround I use a text editor (like notepad) when I create large queries

1 Like

Splunk and Slack both use Shift-Enter for this.

I played with this a little and saw really strange behavior around copy-pasted newlines; pasting a whole formatted block and then moving around it with the arrow keys was fine, but if I pasted a newline in to break up a query or add blank links to a formatted one, arrows didn’t navigate through the break properly.

Currently on Safari 13.1.2 (15609.3.5.1.3) on macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73)