Feature Idea: Percentiles for Custom Metrics in Data Explorer

How can I make or get a chart of percentiles for custom metrics found in the data explorer?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @jgbutterworth - Percentile charts for Metric Charts generated in the Data Explorer are not currently supported.

I’ve converted your post into a feature idea with a poll, and got that filed internally for you too. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Average isn’t very good.

Understood @jgbutterworth - Average charts don’t suit all use cases for sure! Your Feature Idea is getting in front of the right people though :smiley:

any update on future roadmap for percentile?

No update yet @bachandr - this is down to the fact that data explorer returns Metric data, which is built up differently to Event based data, which is easier to sample & run percentiles on.

I’ll get your +1 added here internally though.

1 Like

Hi, I just wanted to also add that this feature would be very useful. I was wondering if there is any plans to support this in the future at the moment?

Hi @jerry.chen1 there is no update at the moment but I have bumped this internally. If there is any news, I will update this thread.

2 Likes

+1 please, this is useful @nmcnamara

Hi All, our team has advised that this will not be implemented. This request is specifically about ‘custom metrics’ in the data explorer. Custom metrics are timeslice metrics. These are sent once per minute with a min, max, sum, and total value. It is not possible to compute a statistically meaningful percentile from that data. If a percentile is needed, the current recommendation would be to use events instead of custom metrics.

+1 for the feature. Percentile will be helpful

Hi @pankaj2, I would suggest giving my last comment a quick read just in case you missed it!

Could it be that this feature has been implemented in the meantime?
Sounds like the “distribution” metric type does what is being asked for.
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/data-apis/understand-data/metric-data/metric-data-type

Hello @weinberg - It looks like they marked this particular feature idea as “will not implement” because of the change you pointed out. Thanks for bringing this to us!