Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Preparing for PHP 7.4

feature-request
feature-idea
rfb
support

With PHP 7.4 already being in its second beta, I was hoping that New Relic could get ahead of the curve and start supporting PHP 7.4 as soon as possible, allowing all of us to have support from the moment PHP 7.4.0 is released.

Here is the planned release schedule for PHP 7.4: https://wiki.php.net/todo/php74

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @ldebrouwer - I’ve just got your request for PHP 7.4 support sent up to the PHP agent developers :slight_smile:

Just a heads up that PHP 7.4 is in RC3 and scheduled for GA on Nov 28th. Using the the latest PHP APM release (9.2.0.247) with RC3 breaks the APM’s ability to hook into the PDO for database query tracking.

Thanks @ c439392c90590947defa!

PHP 7.4 is only around 2 weeks away now, with Release Candiate 6 due for release today

We are already working on adding support for PHP 7.4, and are targeting a new PHP agent release in early December that includes this.

PHP 7.4 support

Thank you for the update :slight_smile:

On what date will the PHP 7.4 extension be released?

Hey @ruud - I don’t know that we have an exact date right now - however as Jodee mentioned, we are targeting a release in Early December

I came across this issue after we upgraded to 7.4 on our staging environments and NR wasn’t logging anything anymore. After trying to manually install the agent I got the error that 7.4.0 is not supported. Is there anything we can do to make this happen faster or is it completely up to your dev team?

Is there a mailing list or something I can subscribe to where I can keep track of 7.4 support? I want to upgrade as soon as possible.

@RyanVeitch, any chance of getting access to a pre-release version of the upcoming agent with PHP 7.4 support?

@ryan24 - This is up to our dev team I have no ETA, but I’m going to tag in @jvarney - the PHP PM to give an update.

In addition - there is no mailing list for agent releases, I would advice you to watch the release notes page - or the RSS feed from here https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/release-notes/agent-release-notes/php-release-notes

With that said - we’ll also try to keep this thread updated as we know more.

@avm - I’m not aware of any pre-release. But again, @jvarney would be best to answer that.

Thanks for your quick response :smiley: : I’ll definitely keep an eye on the RSS feed and this thread.

@ryan24 @avm @ruud @stevet @c439392c90590947defa We are forecasting a PHP agent release with support for PHP 7.4 on Wednesday Dec 4.

This is great news. Thank you, @jvarney and team for your work on this! We are excited to start using PHP 7.4 features in production, but rely on the data that New Relic gives us.

So far no update :frowning: It’s Thursday 5th here in Amsterdam :slight_smile:

Hello @jvarney ,

Is there a new ETA for the new agent that is compatible with PHP7.4?

PHP7.4 is on the making for more than 1 year and it’s very disappointing that New Relic customer can’t upgrade to it because of incompatibility with the agent.

Thanks in advance.

It was exactly the same when PHP 7.3 came out. New Relic support came well after the GM.

Hi all! I am happy to update this thread and let you know that the newly released PHP Agent 9.4 now supports PHP 7.4. :tada:Check out the release notes!