Close icon

Feature Idea: Profiling CPU usage of specific methods

javascript
nodejs
profiling
feature-idea
rfb

Hey,

My server is suddenly spiking up in CPU usage, and I was wondering if there was any way I could profile my actual methods in my code by their CPU consumption (averages, expensive methods etc, average execution times etc) and total performance impact they have on an app level.

Thank you in advance for help and time reading this!

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@vmasto Thanks for posting to the forum. The Node agent does not currently have functionality that will allow you to profile your CPU usage on that level.

I will create a feature request on your behalf that the Node agent have the ability to profile CPU usage as you described. I certainly think there’s a great use case for this feature.

I can’t guarantee that our developers will move forward on this feature but I will link this forum post to the internal tool we use to track our feature requests.

I’d also like to see this feature introduced.

Competing products (such as AppDynamics and KeyMetrics) have the ability to collect CPU and Memory profiles from NodeJS applications. The fact that New Relic is not able to provide similar functionality is a significant drawback and hinderance for us.