Feature Idea: Rate histogram chart

Calling all the NRQL experts, @6MM, @BigNStrauss, I am after a histogram plotting the rate of page loads per hour bucketed for 24 hours similar to this histogram from the performance reports. Preferably for the last 7 days, preferably using only NRQL :slight_smile:

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@RyanVeitch - I realised this will be a feature request, so could you create the poll for me please? It is useful for business owners to understand the amount of pages viewed over a time period for things like advertising campaigns.

@stefan_garnham - You got it! Feature idea filed & poll added :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe if you could put a rate() in a histogram() you could facet on something like dayofmonthof() with one bucket. Sort of a heatmap rather than histogram I think since you really only want a width of 1 (day).

Depending on the app and traffic patterns I’d imagine you would want to weight the rates on business day or they might get skewed due to low rates at off hours.

I think an enhancement request for a new widget type is smart. I really wish the new one stuff was better.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m going to be of little help here. I haven’t looked at NRQL queries in like a year now haha. I’ll brush back up on it though and see if I can come up with anything to assist you.

2 Likes

@stefan_garnham Do you have access to the NRQL that generated that image you posted? If that’s generated by it.

No, the image is from the weekly performance report which is generated by New Relic and then emailed.

Ah I see. Good to know, thanks.

Thinking about this over a couple of days and I’m currently at a loss at ways to achieve this or similar in Insights. @stefan_garnham have you had any luck with this yet?

No. I can get a rate for a day by FACETing on hourOf(timestamp) but that’s about as far as I managed.

Ahh ok! Yeah I’m pretty sure a good replication of the Performance Report histogram is not going to be possible in Insights.

You may be able to extract data via APIs / Insights queries and build a custom visualisation in a NerdPack

1 Like

I was awaiting that suggestion @RyanVeitch :joy:

1 Like

:laughing: It is a good opportunity to start with Nerdpacks!