New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Rename the transactions using HTTP request headers via JMeter

feature-idea
jmeter

Hi,

I am looking to tag my transactions from JMeter, so that I can slice and dice the data in my load test environment New Relic dashboard.

The transactions look messy in New Relic Dashboard and developers told they need time to create custom attributes.

Is it possible to tag the transactions from JMeter using HTTP request headers, so that New Relic will display my transactions’ names like in Dyntrace? Thanks!

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi, @naveenkumar.namachiv: Which New Relic language agent(s) are you using?

Hi @philweber, we are using Node JS agents.

The Node agent should capture HTTP request headers by default, unless you have configured it to exclude them. You may also specify transaction naming rules to name transactions, based on a RegEx match of the request URL.

While it is not possible to rename transactions based on request headers, you can do something like this to view load-test transaction data in Insights:

SELECT average(duration) 
FROM Transaction 
WHERE `request.headers.userAgent` LIKE 'Apache-HttpClient%' 
FACET name

Thanks, @philweber. But my requirement is to display my transactions (from JMeter) in the New Relic dashboard. E.g. in JMeter, if I add the request header with NR parameters, NR should tag my request and display my transaction name in the dashboard.

Transaction Name in NR is 01_Login, 02_Buy, 03_Logout.
In JMeter, each HTTP request should have NR parameters, like nr_transaction_name=01_Login, etc.,

Unfortunately, that is not possible. The only ways to rename transactions with the Node agent are to use naming rules in the agent configuration file, or to call the setTransactionName() API in the code.

Thanks, @philweber. Is this feature in the roadmap? It would be great if performance testers can tag their transactions on the fly to segregate the requests to drill down to the root cause.

No news to share on our roadmap today, @naveenkumar.namachiv, but I have passed your use case along to our Product Management team. Please also vote in the poll I have created above! Hopefully other customers will see it and vote as well! Thanks so much for reaching out about this! :blush: