Feature Idea: Repeating notifications

Hi,

I have our policies setup that they push alert notifications through Slack. Is it possible to repeat alert notifications when incidents haven’t been acknowledged or closed?

Sometimes we miss synthetic check failures, but are not reminded to fix it.

Regards,

Bart

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

1 Like

Hi @bart1 - There are different settings for the way alerts fire based on the policy. Try tweaking these for the best result for your circumstances.

@bart1 there is currently no mechanism to continue sending notifications while a condition is still in violation. We’re very conscious of Alerts fatigue and want to be certain that we’re letting you know something happened but not just being noisy all the time. Repetitive notifications tend to get ignored.

Slack has a pretty good reminder feature with Slackbot, though! You might consider setting up reminders when these failures come through.

1 Like

Thanks. How would a reminder in slack work for these situations?

If you see a notification come through and you can’t check on it right away you can use the /remind feature to bother you again in a configurable time to do so.

I don’t know how I made it through my day before I started using them.

Hello NRers,

I really think this would be a GREAT feature to have. I just missed a major outage for almost 24h because two issues occured at the same time, I solved one and didn’t notice there was a second one open as it is in a plugin, so not visible straight away from the APM…

It would be absolutely fantastic to have the possibility to set (even as an opt in) at least hourly reminders. An opt-in option would avoid bad set ups that are constantly in alert zone.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Jeremie

Hey @jeremie_bordier - Somehow this slipped through the cracks, but I have added a poll to the feature idea and also logged your request with our engineers. If you have any other details you want to add, please let us know!

Part question/feature request:

Is there a way to have alerts get continuously sent out at an interval until an incident is resolved?

Thanks

Hey @raymondw, the users in this thread had the same idea - there currently isn’t a way to generate repeating notifications, but there are a couple workarounds you can implement depending on what notification tools you use. Some users have had success with Slack’s reminder function.

I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with the existing, please vote up in the poll to add your +1 to this! Any details you can provide about your specific use case would also be helpful for our product managers to see.

We had the same scenario occur: Two nearly simultaneous alerts, only one fixed as the other was overlooked. It would be very valuable to have a rule to alert again in x amount of time if the alert is still open.

+1, this would be very helpful for mailboxes with high traffic to avoid things being missed.

Yea, sorry this is a necessary feature for an alerting system. Really confused by the “these can get noisy so we won’t even give you the option” argument.

Hi @rjenkins

Thanks for adding your feedback - I can get that sent to the right people here.

I’ll also add your +1 to the feature request here.

1 Like

Hey All, I just want help with expectations on this one. Right now there are no plans for repeating notifications in Alerts and recommend customers use one of our on-call partner integrations (PagerDuty, VictorOps, OpsGenie or xMatters) for any additional functionality in terms of workflow / scheduling.

2 Likes