New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Resource timings monitoring option

feature-idea
rfb

Hi,

In our application we are using CDN provider to speed up resource downloading around a world. But sometimes our cdn provider has problems, and from user browser perspective there is a problem with downloading certain resource (ex. js file). In that case other js code may throw an exception because it depends on that failed file.

Is it possible to tell NR to report failed resources? With bad response codes (ex. 404, 403, 500, etc.), or network error? (session trace should be sent to NR if it happens).

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi, @ibarkowski: New Relic Synthetics is the method we recommend to do this. Each resource downloaded from a Simple Browser or Scripted Browser monitor generates a SyntheticRequest event in Insights, which includes a responseCode attribute.

Yeah, I know about that but it’s not enough for me. I need a solution to report described problems from real users. Why NR Browser do not have an option to gather resource timings or only problems with them for every transaction? (like JS errors)

I am not on the product team, so I cannot tell you why Browser does not have this capability, only that it does not. We can submit this to the Browser team as a feature idea.

Hi @ibarkowski,

Phil is correct that this isn’t something Browser offers out of the box currently, but there are ways of customizing your reporting to get information we aren’t already capturing. How you go about that really depends on your goal, but here are a couple of examples of API calls that might be of interest:

Just what I needed, worked a treat, thank you!
myprepaidcenter