Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Running private minions in AWS?

aws
synthetics
rfb

I want to set up a private location for Synthetics in my AWS account. Reading documentation, it looks like the only way to do that is to run a VM in a hypervisor. AWS EC2 doesn’t support that. Are there any alternatives to make this work on EC2?

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/synthetics/new-relic-synthetics/private-locations/install-configure-private-minions

Thanks,
Andrey

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

_We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team

Hi there, if you have vmware in-house you can use their vCenter plugin to easily migrate the vm to EC2, details here: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/vcenter-portal/

Unfortunately I dont think that will really work for us… we have a security requirement that any application has to be deployed on top of our base AMI (which has encryption, certain security tools, etc). It would be great if this were available as an rpm.

@andrey_utis unfortunately our appliance requires a very specific software/hardware setup in order to run performant so it’s not as simple as an RPM install - at least not yet. With that said, does your security team make any concession for third party appliances?

Hello,
I was wondering if this is still the case at this time or has there been any developments in terms of making it more pluggable into AWS.

Thanks,
Ken

I am wondering the same thing around compatibility with AWS. As the push to adopt a cloud first strategy moves forward (in my case with AWS), the need for this will grow.

Hey @kenneth_leung & @brian.north

At the moment it still is the case that we provide and support only the OVF private minion file.

As @rferreira detailed above, it’s possible to migrate the minion VM to EC2, however any alterations to the base OVF file we provide are not supported by New Relic.

We can certainly get your interest in an AWS compatible private minion lodged as a feature request to the Product Developers. I’ll do that now, and will also add a poll to this forum topic - please do add your interest via that poll. :slight_smile:

interested this as well.

VOTE : YES - I am surprised NewRelic does not just have an OFFICIAL AMI in the AWS Marketplace. It would make more sense to publish an official AMI that users can use to spin up an EC2 Private Minion than to give them an RPM or Source or Binary to put on their own OS/EC2 because you can control all the requirements.

It should not be much harder to produce an official AMI as it is to produce and official OVF/VM.

An ami in the marketplace based on a simple linux distro would be ideal.