Feature Idea: Scala 2.13 support

I would love to see support for Scala 2.13 in NewRelic. Scala 2.13 is available for 5 months now, and I would have expected that the latest NewRelic agent to support it. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

1 Like

Thanks for posting @balazs.keki - I’ll get this feature idea sent up to the product development team internally :slight_smile:

I hope this issue is taken seriously and fixed asap with high priority. I’m not familiar with the NR process so I might misunderstand the terms used here but this is not a new “feature idea”, it is issue of missing support for the current Scala version. And it is sad to read the auto-comment below that it might not get to roadmap or be implemented :frowning:

NR did do a good job to release Java 13 support, I hope they would have same process to ensure compatibility with latest versions of most popular JVM languages like Scala and Kotlin.
I checked one of the competitor’s APM Java agent and it seems to have been fixed to work with scala 2.13 already in July. If someone would implement new Scala app I think it would be unreasonable to assume they would downgrade scala to previous version just to be able to use NR.

1 Like

Hey @jarkko.monkkonen - you make some excellent points here - and I’d like to address what I can, specifically that is the auto-comment - this is a standard disclaimer we add on to any feature ideas. We get a lot of feature ideas every day, that disclaimer is just to note that we cannot promise to implement everything.

On the topic of Scala 2.13 support - I don’t have any update right now - but I’m going to send a message over to the Java agent product manager to see if we can get an update here for you. :slight_smile:

Hi, are there any updates on this? Lack of 2.13 support is going to be a major blocker for the migration.

1 Like

Hi there @j.kozlowski - no dates that I can share right now. That said, you are free to try the agent with Scala 2.13. YMMV, but it could absolutely work. Our product teams just haven’t tested it, or worked through any possible hiccups.

Additionally, you may find that it mostly works, but with a little custom instrumentation, you can get exactly what you need.

Though I don’t have news on the agent working with Scala 2.13 right our of the box, you do have a few options. Hope that helps.

Given that Scala 2.13 RC1 was released April 2019 I’m disappointed that support has still not been added or even tested. Lack of support has lead to us finding another product to report our transaction metrics as the 2.13 upgrade is more valuable to us than staying within the NewRelic ecosystem.

@ryan.burke -

Sorry that there hasn’t been an update here in a while. I’m trying right now to get some information for you from the product manager of the Java agent. I’ll let you know as soon as I have some more to tell you here.

Hi @balazs.keki @j.kozlowski - Thank you for your feedback and participation on the forum. I am the PM for Java Agent team. Its great help for me to know what is important to our community. We recognize that we are behind in supporting the latest version of Scala and are planning to have support for the same towards the end of this March or early April.

5 Likes

Hi @aarora1, any news about the scala 2.13 support?

2 Likes

As far as I can see there is no update yet! Keep an eye on the release notes for the latest news.

Hi, @aarora1. Lack of 2.13 support is a major blocker for the migration in my team as well.

Apologies for the late response. We recently shifted priorities in order to bring you some exciting product updates. Unfortunately because of that, we have had to re-adjust our roadmap for the next couple of months, as such, support for Scala 2.13 has been pushed back a bit. We’re not yet in a position to commit to a specific timeline, but as we have more info on when that will be, we’ll be sure to keep you updated.

1 Like

Having the automatic instrumentation for Scala was one key feature when we chose New Relic and thus we feel that we are paying you for that feature. Now it starts to look like Scala support is not and will not be a first class citizen for NR anymore. That can be a very justified business decision. In that case it would be fair to state that openly and Scala users could then think about what they are going to do in the future.

This is starting to also starting to be risky for us, and I bet for other clients of yours using Scala, in long term. We can’t just wait for something uncertain regarding upcoming Scala 3.

1 Like

An exciting product update would be support for scala 2.13, NR instrumentation is a major block for us to adopt Scala 2.13 right now.

Can I get confirmation if scala 2.13 is on NR road map? can we get ETA to share with our stakeholders?

Hi All -

I believe Scala 2.13 Support is still indeed on the roadmap - just pushed out a little as explained by Abhishek, our Java Product Manager.

We’ll ensure your interest in this feature idea is logged, and we’ll keep you updated in this thread as we know more.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

I would like to also put some weight on the Scala 2.13 support. Scala 2.12 to 2.13 shouldn’t be a hard migration to do, in regards to man hours.

Could you please build in some expectation about dates?

Hi @zhorzh.raychev Thanks for adding your +1 - I’ll get that logged. I don’t have visibility into the team’s roadmap, so I can’t speak to the timing, but your +1 will be seen by the product manager.