Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Secondary axis for charting?

charts
feature-idea
axis

Please paste the [permalink][1] to the page in question below:

Please include any NRQL you are using:

SELECT average(cpuPercent), average(loadAverageFiveMinute) FROM SystemSample TIMESERIES FACET ec2Tag_Name WHERE (entityId in (‘8461840923988673564’, ‘4386154337758271513’, ‘7043932889359042813’)) AND label.AssignmentGroup = ‘GroupName’ LIMIT 100 SINCE 60 minutes ago

Please share your question/describe your issue below. Include any screenshots that may help us understand your question:

I am trying to chart the average of two metrics from SystemSample for a subset of servers (in this case, 3) within our environment. The servers are irrelevant to the issue. I am trying to graph a percentage (cpuPercent) and a positive floating-point number. Recognizing that you can’t graph a percentage and a floating-point number on the same Y-axis, it is possible to have two Y-axis on the same chart?

In Excel this is called a ‘secondary axis’.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Thanks for sharing your use case, @jbiggley! I have added a poll so we can collect other’s votes around your idea! Please be sure and vote above! :white_check_mark:

Just wanted to write an idea about that as well but then saw it already exists.

Another use case:

Imagine you want to graph throughput and average response time, to see if your app is able to maintain a stable response time with increasing load. The below NRQL will not do a good job if the avg. response time is 2s and the throughput in the same window is 2000.

SELECT count(*), average(duration) FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'MyApp' TIMESERIES

Now one can say that you can do some math like to acomodate the above example:

SELECT count(*)/1000, average(duration) FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'MyApp' TIMESERIES

This may work well if you know the TIMESERIES window well but as soon as the TIMESERIES changes (e.g. per 1 day or per 15 minutes) your math will fall apart. Aligning both values to another y-axis on the other hand will solve that problem in all cases. E.g.

SELECT count(*) ON left, average(duration) ON right FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'MyApp' TIMESERIES

That use case makes total sense. We’ll get that feedback added to the Feature Idea internally :smiley: