New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Specify hostname

feature-idea

We have a number of pods in kubernetes reporting to the same New Relic appname. As these are restarted they report as new hostnames in APM. This means that over large time windows there are a very large amount of hosts being displayed and we experience New Relic UI issues because of this.

We are naming our pods with a useful name and an identifier used by our deployment process and can’t easily change the hostnames without drastically changing our deployment process.

We’d like to be able to label our hosts with something like the this feature:

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/manage-apm-agents/configuration/add-rename-remove-hosts#display_name

Tracking a particular container hostname isn’t useful but tracking a pod name could be.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Good to hear from you @jacoBeastman!

I’ve just got that Feature Request filed for you :slight_smile:

Hi @jacoBeastman, could you tell me more about the UI issues you’re running into because of a very large number of hosts?

As for tracking pod names, I’m curious what you’re looking for… the deployment name without the two random strings at the end (e.g., the “my-service” in “my-service-13cfad89b5-gexn”)? You might consider our Kubernetes integration, which offers insight into k8s nodes, pods, deployments, and clusters–as well as the apps running on them: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/integrations/kubernetes-integration/get-started/introduction-kubernetes-integration

We don’t have any plans for an API to rename the APM hosts we see reported by k8s pods, but with capabilities like the Kubernetes Cluster Explorer, you can get better visibility into those pods (and nodes, etc.).

Ralph

Hi @ralph

This is all for APM as I’m mostly interested in the APM features of NR.

The APM UI slows down considerably as you have more unique hostnames in a given time window. Depending on the number of hosts this can even cause a 500 error (on the New Relic UI) and make APM inaccessible for the selected time window.

Of course, during heavy load we have more containers therefore more hosts and heavy load is when we have issues that I want to investigate with APM and that is when I run into the New Relic 500 Oops page.

Currently APM UI displays the container names which I don’t particular care about in the context of APM but it would be helpful to be able to configure the display name in the APM agent’s config somehow. For instance, currently I have 3 containers in a pod with names like “import-service-13cfad89b5-gexn”. It would be helpful to be able to view all of them as a single server/host/whatever in APM using the existing servers dropdown. This would let me view the health of, for instance, my import service pod without having to break them into separate APM Apps.

@jacoBeastman - We’ve passed that extra info over to Ralph for you :smiley: