Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Synthetic checks should have an alternate configuration for check frequency during outages

If a synthetic monitor fails in many use cases this is likely meant to indicate some kind of temporary outage/failure with the website. Unfortunately, the check frequency does not change based on whether the previous check failed and I think this is a deficiency in the product. Example:

A synthetic check may be scheduled for every 5 minutes. If the synthetic check fails, the check should occur every 1 minute until the check succeeds.

This has some related impact on incident reports as well as general reporting of “uptime” since a synthetic configured to check every 5 minutes is obviously going to result in an outage that is no less than 5 minutes long (even if it was only a minute). In our own use case each opened “incident” needs to be investigated separately so we can determine actual duration since many of them are brief service interruptions.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @Michael.Sleep - When a change of state from success to fail for Synthetics monitors is detected, another 2 checks are scheduled to run immediately. Those 2 checks are part of the system to reduce false failures.

You will not receive alerts or see failures in the UI until all 3 of those initial checks fail. This is in an effort to reduce the number of alerts received for very minimal brief network blips, or for any erroneous errors that may cause a single failure but not be a legitimate concern.

With all that said, following that initial 3 strike strategy, your monitors run at your set scheduled intervals. I can totally see why updating that to more frequent checks would be useful for you and others, so I have converted your post into a poll for others to have their say. I have also added your feature idea as a request internally :slight_smile: