Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Synthetic monitoring doesn't work for IFRAME with allow attributes

synthetics
feature-idea

Hello,

We are using newrelic synthetic monitoring for a ReactJs web application and one of the Synthetic monitoring scenario doesn’t seems to work for a page/url with an IFRAME.

<iframe
allow="microphone; camera; autoplay" 
>
</iframe>

It appears to be the problem is with an “allow” attribute in iframe as the latest newrelic monitoring runtime with Chrome60 doesn’t seems to support this tag.

We could see the error in real-world chrome60 browser (we’re assuming this will be the case for synthetic monitoring runtime as well)

Error while parsing the 'allow' attribute: 'microphone', 'camera', 'autoplay' are invalid feature names.

Appreciate if any help to resolve this issue.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @randika.rathugamage - You’re right in that the latest version of Chrome supported in Synthetics is v60, from what I can see, iframes allow attributes were introduced in Chrome v64.

At the moment it is not possible to update the version of Chrome used in Synthetics. I’ll get this post moved over to the Feature Ideas section, and add a poll here for others to vote on this for an updated version of
Chrome.

Thanks @RyanVeitch appreciate it.

In the meantime, is there anything we can do from monitoring scripting level to resolve this ? I am just curious to know whether if it’s possible to ignore the allow tags, may be detect the element and find-and-replace.

The next option is for us to detect the browser version and enable/disable allow tags based on the chrome version.

Hi @randika.rathugamage - we did some digging around to see if we could come up with a workaround. Unfortunately, there is not a means to work around that. We would need the ability to run a script before the DOM is parsed by the browser, to make that modification to the element and avoid that error, and we don’t have that kind of page lifecycle hook.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!