Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Synthetic Ping failures should trigger only when all locations fail at the same time

alerts-beta
feature-idea
new-alerts
rfb

Hello @rmcdonough!
No problem on the timing. We will watch the release notes.
I just wanted to get the request in as I know we are not alone on this need.

I logged this request with New Relic 6+ months ago. I hope they are working on comprehensive/flexible alerting system.

@cookcr I have faith that they are. I would also imagine that they have their hands full as their product is pretty awesome.

This is a must-have feature for us. Synthetics alerting is a lot less useful otherwise.

@jamesh I have created a feature request for you too. Once there is an update you will be notified.

I want to +1 this.

Knowing that one location is flakey is marginally useful, and might indicate an issue to investigate with a CDN or something.

Knowing when all or most locations fail at the same time is MUCH more valuable as an actionable alert, and that’s what this product is supposed to be for. I have a feeling that if I enable this alert as-is, I’m going to have a revolt from my ops people when they start waking up at 3am every time Sao Paolo can’t find us.

@dougw Thanks for your input, your use case is a great example for us to take to our product managers. I agree that knowing how many locations are failing would be super valuable.

While there hasn’t been any announcement for when/if this feature would be available. I hope we can avoid any revolts, mutinies, or full blown rebellions :scream:. To that cause I have added your +1.

The reliability of the Linode servers have been pretty bad. New Relic hasn’t been updating there status page when these issues occur with there cloud providers. I’m quite tired of the noise. We get woken up in the middle of the night because one monitor location is spamming email. Can you provide an ETA on this feature? It might be worth adding this robustness, if you are going to continue to use linode as a provider. Here are some recent examples:

http://status.linode.com/incidents/pxxyjq5hcmfh

http://status.linode.com/incidents/3v13kt5dgjnv

We too had multiple engineers get paged with false alarms last night because of the Linode issues. So long as there’s no “2nd check” from another datacenter we can’t trust the reliability of NR Synthetics to determine whether we’re down or you’re down. Also no status post from NR means I have to go spelunking through your vendors’ status pages to find out what’s going on.

@mwhittingham and @jamesh Although I cannot give an accurate ETA on this feature right now, I would be more than happy to pass this input along to my product managers. They always want to hear about these kinds of use cases. And the feedback you have to offer is great! Thanks for chiming in! :blush:

Have there been any updates on this feature request? We have the exact same problem, one of many locations fail and we get notifications the site is down. We only want to get alerts when all locations are failing. Hugely annoying and noisy without this feature.

I am sorry to hear that you too are experiencing this as noise, @ggyssler. I don’t have an update to share right now. I will add a feature request of your behalf. Thanks for letting me know and check back for updates on this in the future!

This is a big thing for us too. Getting lots of noise from offshore New Relic endpoints when our local one is just fine.

Also an issur for scripted browsers where we do an end to end transaction and get woken up overnight because one location isn’t happy.

I will note that Dynatrace has this feature already - please don’t lag behind for long :slight_smile:

Feature Idea: Decrease Sensitivity of Synthetics Alerting

Thanks for reaching out to us, @mraynor! I have added a poll above so that our product can see how many votes are behind this request. I’ll pass along your input—any and all use cases are always mighty helpful. Thanks so much!

Guy! any update on release of the requested feature, the test retry option (‘n’ failure should trigger alert instead of first one from any location) is a MUST otherwise we will forced to look into other products as it’s raising too many false alarms.

Hello!
This feature would be a great first step to fixing the signal to noise ratio on synthetic alerts, but synthetic alerts needs even more knobs and levers to tune the alerts. I’ve been asking for this too. since last year at FutureStack.

Right now there is no way to tune the signal-to-noise ratio of synthetics. Please add this!

Yes for sure, @jsprague. Glad you added your voice to this thread! Hope you voted above, too! :wink:

It’s been over 18 months now since the request was submitted by Eric.
It would be great if you could provide more (any) information on the progress.

Unfortunately this is not the first useful feature request I’ve seen in this forum that has been left in limbo.

Any update on this? Going on 28 months now with no resolution. Seems ridiculous we should get paged in the middle of the night for New Relic infrastructure problems. Or that we can’t rely on Synthetics for anything important.

I too would like an update on this. This thread’s approaching 3 years with no updates from NR in over a year. Another thread has been open for 2 years now with a similar request, without any real updates from NR at all.

There are 116 total votes across two threads, which are asking for virtually the same feature, and neither of them has moved an inch in the time they’ve been open.

What’s going on with this? Is it anywhere in the roadmap? Why have no updates been provided?