Feature Idea: Tags and Labels - How To Part Two

apm
labels
tags
feature-idea
infrastructureagent
infra
tagging

So, this is related to my question in APM. We are looking at have a set of common values that are tag’ed in APM and label’ed in Infrastructure . For example, the specific client a given server is used by. That value would apply to both APM and Infra and we would want to be able to filter INfra alerts or NRQL/APM alerts by it.

Is it possible to use a common file for both Infra and APM that has the tag/label values defined, on top of ENV variables for APM and a yaml file with the license key for a given configuration?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @tim.davis - it’s a good idea to have a optional extra file, common amongst all agents, APM & Infra, that you can drop into the app directory and have that report custom tags and labels.

Right now that isn’t possible. You can absolutely add custom infra host tags, and APM labels, but, as I’m sure you know, APM labels aren’t queryable in NRQL, but you can target APM Labels for alerts.

I see that you want to be able to target one label and capture APM/Infra/Anything else… - but right now that’s not possible. You would need separate conditions for this.

If you would like to query in NRQL for the APM labels, you could track them as a custom attribute in the APM App && the Infra host config file…

You could then target both Infra and APM data in one query with APM labels and Infra tags:

SELECT latest(Transaction.customLabel), latest(SystemSample.myLabel) FROM Transaction, SystemSample 

(obviously these dependent of what you name your labels).

I know, this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for; which is a non-config file option to just drop in a common file to every agent you use for common tags to be reported for all relevant apps and hosts.
I’ll get a feature idea filed for you, for this, but for now maybe custom attributes can get you as close as possible to making everything queryable.

Bit of a shame that labels aren’t queryable outside APM/Alerts. Is there plans to introduce this functionality?

Additionally, can labels be leveraged in NR1 entities explorer, NR1 dash, NR1 workloads or Insights?

I still struggle with why there are such differences between the solutions. We have a need to categorize alerts, dashboards, etc. All ‘sources’ should be able to be based on the same concepts.

I am not on a team that made design decisions with regard to labels & tags, so I can’t say with certainty why there are such differences.

Though my assumption is that APM and labels in APM have been around for quite a long time. As more services came online in the New Relic platform, such as infrastructure, they were done so with improvements on how such things had been handled in the past.

Obviously this brings with it the situation you are in now, using multiple parts of New Relic with differences in experience for each.

I do know that there is an effort to make all parts of New Relic feel the same as each other. By bringing everything in to the New Relic One UI.
I don’t have information on timeline nor do I have info on what exactly it will look like when that transition to a more seamless New Relic One platform. But while that work is all ongoing, it is a perfect time to attempt to influence the results of this work.
With that in mind I’m going to update the feature idea we have filed for you. I’ll get as much of this info in as clear a way as I can added for you in the hopes that we can get some more easy to use, streamlined, and global within NR labelling options.