Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Turn off all conditions from an alert policy

feature-idea
rfb

I want to be able to select one checkbox and turn off all alert condition from my alert policy.
It’s very annoying when I need to select all 40+ conditions and turn off each at a time.

It’s this possible right now and I’m missing something or is not possible ?

I appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Mihaescu Bogdan

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

You could use our Alerts API. You would need to get a list of the conditions within the policy like so:

curl -X GET 'https://api.newrelic.com/v2/alerts_conditions.json' \
     -H 'X-Api-Key:{api_key}' -i \
     -d 'policy_id={policy_id}' 

You would then take the ID for the condition and pass it to a different endpoint to update the condition i.e. disable it. This part would look like so:

curl -X POST 'https://api.newrelic.com/v2/alerts_nrql_conditions/{id}.json' \
     -H 'X-Api-Key:{admin_api_key}' -i \
     -H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
     -d \
'{
  "nrql_condition": {
    "name": "string",
    "runbook_url": "string",
    "enabled": "boolean",
    "terms": [
      {
        "duration": "string",
        "operator": "string",
        "priority": "string",
        "threshold": "string",
        "time_function": "string"
      }
    ],
    "value_function": "string"
    "nrql": {
        "query": "string",
        "since_value": "string"
    }
  }
}'

Of course, this would be wrapped in a loop so it gets called for every condition which is in the policy. I understand that this takes additional resources on your end but it’s the only work around which I can think of for this! Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Feature Idea: Is it Possible Set a Scheduled Maintenance Window?

Sounds like a feature request is required.

“I would like to be able to mute all conditions on a policy with one click. Clicking again would enable all conditions under the policy”.

Can you outline the use case that you have where you need to be turning off conditions or policies with any regularity?

When I do a deployment I reboot a lot of services that have alerts on them.
In order to not receive 80+ mails on each deploy I need to turn the alert off and then on.

That makes sense, yet, I think many customers don’t have this problem because 1) they architect ways to deploy without interrupting service (that would fire an alert) 2) they craft alerts that can weather a deployment hiccup.

In addition to New Relic we use Datadog. They have what’s called a “downtime schedule” that you can apply to a monitor. You can schedule alerting to mute during the evening or on weekends etc. You can also use the API to create and change these schedules as well as simply mute a monitor. I agree with you that this is a meaningful feature that could enhance New Relic.

I’d want to ensure that this 1) API accessible first 2) supported in the UI 3) applies to a policy or policies AND perhaps channels.

Hey there @bmihaescu - if deployments are your big use case, we DO have a feature idea out there for a feature similar to what @6MM described:

Please let us know if this does not cover what you are looking for.

1. Maybe I just want to test something once and I need to do it quick so no time to create anything but just turn off all alerts at once. That button will be very useful.
    I will use all your suggestions for deployment because I also need it to be automatically. But I will still need that button. Please !

2. I also need a way to copy multiple conditions from one policy to another.

I do this because I have 2 policy’s and a lot of conditions. I want to add those conditions to another policy but to change one value in the query so instead of creating them one at a time I want to copy all of them and then replace that value. The name will be the same for most of them and for others I will change it after that.
Now I can only copy one condition at a time and is very time consuming.

Thanks so much for the additional details. I can see that you have more use cases for how this would need to work so I will go ahead and adda poll and make this an official feature idea.

This was available in the legacy Alerts and I used it on several occasions. I think a useful feature has been removed.

Loud and clear, @stephen_barton! I am looping in our Alerts Product Manager @NateHeinrich so he can see your need for this feature. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Nice to be heard.

I’ve been deploying monitoring systems for 20 years. I don’t recall any other system I have used where I could not set a collection of checks to maintenance mode. Clients we resell to are really unhappy about it. I investigated using the api. Different calls for different checks with multiple recursive queries. Trying to convince a client to spend a lot of money to add a functionality that should be a part of the product results in client saying look at other products (and it has).

Hi @tpotter - You may have missed the announcement but it is now GA

Limited to Synthetics?

Yes, based on this statement.

Hey all!

We just launched Alerts Muting Rules here https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/managing-notification-channels/muting-rules-suppress-notifications

Muting Rules should help to meet the needs of many of your use cases in this thread, so check out the docs, and ask your questions in the #support-products-agents:alerts space :smiley:

Thanks for all your great suggestions