Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Updating or Specifying which Chrome browser and Chromedriver versions to use in scripted browser execution

Hi,

In connection with the page timeout issue in the support ticket I had submitted recently (https://support.newrelic.com/tickets/247054), I would like to ask if there can be a feature where the Chrome browser and Chromedriver used in scripted browser monitor executions can be updated to newer versions? Based from the failed script logs below, the versions that NewRelic Synthetics uses for running scripted monitors are 44.0.2403.157 for Chrome browser and 2.20.353124 for the chromedriver.

TimeoutError: timeout: Timed out receiving message from renderer: 51.476
(Session info: chrome=44.0.2403.157)
(Driver info: chromedriver=2.20.353124 (035346203162d32c80f1dce587c8154a1efa0c3b),platform=Linux 3.13.0-116-generic x86_64)
at new bot.Error (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/atoms/error.js:108:18)
at Object.bot.response.checkResponse (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/atoms/response.js:109:9)
at /opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/webdriver/webdriver.js:379:20
at promise.ControlFlow.runInFrame_ (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/…/webdriver/promise.js:1857:20)
at goog.defineClass.notify (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/…/webdriver/promise.js:2448:25)
at promise.Promise.notify_ (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/…/webdriver/promise.js:564:12)
at Array.forEach (native)
at promise.Promise.notifyAll_ (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/…/webdriver/promise.js:553:15)
at goog.async.run.processWorkQueue (/opt/runtimes/2.0.0/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/async/run.js:130:15)
at runMicrotasksCallback (node.js:337:7)

I think we need to update and test against newer versions of both Chrome browser and chromedriver in running scripted monitors because there might be some website features that are no longer supported by older browser and driver versions. In our case, it can cause the page and its resources to load slowly and even timed out. Even our customers are not using the older browser version anymore.

Please let me know your thoughts about this feature idea. Thank you.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Getting StaleElementReferenceError a few times a day

Thanks so much @ray.ban - I just addd a feature request poll so that others can weigh in as well. Extra special thanks for all the detail in this post - I know our engineers will appreciate that!

I am looking for something similar. A way to save my previously created and configured Synthetics monitor as a newer version of the New Relic monitor. I’d like to upgrade my 0.40 script to 0.5.2.

Thanks @chad.markle for adding your feedback here. We don’t currently have a way of customers specifying the runtime version used in their monitors. All new monitors will adopt the latest available runtime. If there is something in the older runtime that makes your monitors fail, that is fixed in the newer runtime, our Support Team may be able to help. Let me know if that’s the case and I can get a support ticket opened for you. If not, then you can get your monitors onto the new runtime by copying your scripts into newly created monitors.

Thanks Ryan. If I copy my script to a new monitor, how do I keep from losing all of the history of the current monitor?

@chad.markle - Unfortunately transferring the data from one monitor to another is not possible, however you can disable the old monitor, and for the extent of your retention policy, look back over that historical data even when it the monitor not running. Having the old data in the older monitor may also be helpful to write insights queries against the two, for comparison purposes. Such that you can facet a query by monitor name to see both side by side.

I can get a feature idea submitted for you on the ability to transfer data between monitors. :slight_smile:

Thanks Ryan. I think it would be nice to be able to upgrade the version of an existing monitor. I need to learn more about Insights so that I can better utilize it.

I see, thanks for the additional info @chad.markle - I’ll get that feature request filed for you now. Let us know if there’s anything further I can help with for now.

We could use this ability as well as we have synthetics failing browser version tests. It would also be useful to see what Chrome Version and Driver were used for any given test run. thanks

Hey @cromero - I’ll get your +1 added here.

In the meantime, you can check your monitors runtime version. Information on that is here:
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/synthetics/new-relic-synthetics/scripting-monitors/scripted-monitor-runtime-environment