Close icon

Feature Idea: Vert.x 3.6 and Kotlin coroutines support

jvm
java
feature-idea
kotlin
vertx

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, and this was confirmed by the New Relic support team, the Java agent doesn’t currently support Vert.x 3.6 and, based on past experience, the basic support for Kotlin coroutines is also quite bad.

Does anyone know of any workaround for still creating and tracking requests between multiple handlers? In particular when using https://vertx.io/docs/vertx-web-api-contract/java/?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @guido.mariotti Thanks for posting here in the Feature Ideas space after working with our support team.

I’ve gone ahead adding a poll to your post so that others can vote on this feature idea too.

Hi, while I am hoping for an official support for Kotlin Coroutines, is there any idea on how we would implement custom instrumentation for coroutine code? We noticed our coroutines migration make our traces disappear (previously we’re using ScheduledExecutor).

Would the Java Async API be helpful here?
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/java-agent/async-instrumentation/java-agent-api-asynchronous-applications

Unfortunately, the only solution I can think of is to link the token after you create a coroutine and after each suspending method call. However, this increase the verbosity of the entire codebase without any real benefit. It would be better if the agent could be able to link a transaction/token to the continuation associated to each suspending method without the need of any custom instrumentation.

Thanks @guido.mariotti - You’re right when you say: It would be better if the agent could be able to link a transaction/token to the continuation associated to each suspending method without the need of any custom instrumentation.

The feature request we filed for you will go to the product management team, so that is in front of the right people. Hopefully this will be something they can work on soon.