Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: WCF async requests are not captured by new relic

async
feature-idea

I have a WCF service contract methods that implements Async pattern.

Sample:
public async Task<<>> GetValues()
{

}

My application is running on .net framework 4.5 and using new relic agent version 5.19.47.0

I tried all the methods suggested in below new relic documentation
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/net-agent/troubleshooting/missing-async-metrics#enforce-async

But None of them worked. The fixes in documentation seems to be more for a webapi.

I wanted to know whether new relic capture WCF related async requests? Inorder to capture WCF async requests what changes do in need to do for my application.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@amarmovva -

The agent currently does not instrument Task based Async WCF service contract methods. I’ll add a feature request on your behalf though!

There currently isn’t a good work-around. You could try making a custom transaction from the method.

This effectively makes NewRelic useless for us. Please provide Async support for WCF

This is a mandatory feature for us too. We are seriously considering moving off of new relic to a competitor that provides this.

@Tjd Not having this will eventually force my organization to a New Relic ~impasse as well. I know nobody wants to switch, but we might have to.

I know that this has been a long journey! I am pleased to be able to update you that this has been prioritized among our nearest top 10 feature releases! Please hang tight and let us know if we can answer more questions! :blush:

@Linds While waiting for this feature, we have tried to implement custom instrumentation. However, when we do so , we can see the top level operation contract methods, but they are all nested as segments under the ServiceHttpHandler transaction, and not as top level transactions. Is there any way to tell the custom instrumentation to promote these methods to the top transaction level?