Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Y-Axis Scaling in Insights?

nrql
insights
feature-idea
graph
timeseries

Hello,

We have dashboards in Insights that use the NRQL TIMESERIES clause. Is there a way to set the y-Axis scaling? i.e. if we have three graphs for three different servers CPU utilization, can I set each graph to have a y-axis scaling out of a hundred? Right now it is auto scaling to whatever max value is being plotted by the graph.

I would put all three servers on the same graph, except you cannot use TIMESERIES with COMPARE when looking across different periods of time.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Feature Idea: Linked Y-Axis on Auto-scaling Charts
Manage start of scale

Hi @nick.ramos - One workaround would be to manually add a 100 value to force the scale.

Welcome to the community @nick.ramos! Stefan gave you the best workaround we have right now. Let us know if that works for you! You can set his response as the solution to your question by clicking on the checkbox icon under his post.

Unfortunately, that does not fill my need. After a lot more searching around, it looks like this functionality does not exist in New Relic.

You are right, @nick.ramos—the functionality you need is not currently available out-of-the-box. I would be happy to pass along your needs and request to the Product team for review. In the meantime, please vote in the poll I have created above! :blush: Thanks so much!

Unfortunately the workaround fails to graph your data when you add a FACET clause to your query

This query will only return the JSON of the collected data:
SELECT average(memoryUsedBytes / memoryTotalBytes * 100) AS 'Percent Used', 100 AS 'Max' FROM SystemSample TIMESERIES AUTO FACET hostname

That is a limitation unfortunately - we’ll get your +1 added to the product team’s feature idea though.
Thanks for adding that use case here @stephen.garthwaite