Feature Ideas: Instrumentation support for Java Mongo 3.8.2 Driver

We use the following setup with the newest (to-date) NewRelic agent (4.12.1)
Java 11.0.2
Spring Boot 2.1.4.RELEASE with Jetty servlet (v9.4), using Webflux
mongodb-driver 3.8.2
mongodb-driver-async 3.8.2
mongodb-driver-core 3.8.2
mongodb-driver-reactivestreams 1.9.2

We are not seeing any MongoDB instrumentation at all, the entire request includes only the JVM and response time (without any other separation).

Is it possible to support those drivers? It’s very important for us to instrument MongoDB.

A picture of how the transactions look:

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @info

A few things to note, MongoDB 3.8.x is not yet supported.

In the meantime, I should point out two things:

1. The method making the database call needs to be instrumented for the database call time to be tracked. This is elaborated here:
    Missing External Service or Database Calls?

2. We have a Datastore API that can be used to track timing for unsupported datastores. My colleague @jmcevoy has a great write-up on using that here.

Let us know if that helps out.

2 Likes

Hey @info - adding to Jesse’s response, I’ve updated your post to a Feature Idea, and submitted a request on your behalf internally for MongoDB 3.8.x support :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback, I understand it’s possible to add manual instrumentation to every db method call, but I prefer to have this done automatically as Mongo 3.8.x is a very popular driver, also released more than 6 months ago…

I’ll check out the manual instrumentation links you’ve added and see if it isn’t too much work to manually instrument every API

1 Like

Thanks @info - let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Thanks, in the meantime, is there some sort of ETA for Mongo 3.8.x support?

Hey @info I don’t have details of an ETA right now, I’d recommend watching the Java Agent release notes (or subscribe to the RSS feed) which should point out when support for MongoDB 3.8.x is added.

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/release-notes/agent-release-notes/java-release-notes