Feature Ideas: Threshold alerting at 24 hr timescale

Hi there,

We are trying to create an NRQL Threshold alert to alert us if we don’t get any data for > 24 hours.

The alerting thresholds currently limit to only 2 hours. (screenshot).

Is there any workaround? Thanks!

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

2 Likes

Hey @vr00n - great to see you here again!

We would love to help you find a workaround. To do that, it would be great to understand your use case. Why 24 hours? What are you trying to do?

Thanks!
Holly

We are trying to monitor a low-volume transaction activity that updates less than 5 times within 24 hours.

We need to know if the volume is at 0 for the same duration.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Varun

Even I am facing the same issue.

In my case we are trying to monitor a transaction which occurs only once in 24hrs. We want to trigger the NRQL alert if the transaction doesn’t updates in last 24 hrs.

2 Likes

Hi there @amandeep.singh.5 and @vr00n - I did a little further digging, and it looks like this is a Feature Idea, with no obvious workaround. I added a poll so that others can weigh in and passed this to the team. If you have any other use case details you would like to add, please feel free.

1 Like

The only workaround I have seen is to create a monitor in Synthetics that calls the Insights API to execute the query and then you have a few options on what to do with the results. You could either:

• Cause the monitor to fail if the results are not what you expected
  • Put your query results back into a custom Insights event using the Insights API that you could then use a NRQL alert to monitor

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Awesome - thanks for that idea @peckb1

HI , I am stuck at same issue and I am not sure if this has been addressed or will be addressed soon. Please let us know if there is any better workaround on this ?

Hi @Swapnil_Sundarkar -

We don’t yet have 24hr timescales for alerting & I’m not sure if this is on the roadmap.

I’ll get your +1 submitted though - so the product team know of the demand for this.

Thanks. It’s almost 2 years that everyone is waiting for this feature. If its not available out-of-box can someone help me to customize and put solution for this.

Hi, @Swapnil_Sundarkar: @peckb1 suggested some workarounds earlier in this thread. This post provides more details:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I want to share that, over the course of the next month, we are releasing official support for “loss of signal detection” for NRQL Conditions. Loss of Signal configuration allows you to set an expiration duration, in wall clock time, from the time that we received the last data point. Once that time expires, we will identify that signal as being lost. Once that happens, we will allow for 2 actions:

1. close all open violations
  2. create a new violation (and resultant notification) for “Loss of Signal”

The maximum expiration duration we will support to start with is 48 hours. Therefore, you should be able to use this feature for being alerted if infrequent jobs do not report data within the expected time frame. If you expect a service to report every 6 hours, you can set an expiration duration of 6 hours and 15 minutes (for example), and be notified if that signal is lost.

After we release this, we will reassess this use case to determine if another method is still required.
We should have Loss of Signal Detection completely by end of July 2020, and then proceed to begin the rollout of Gap Filling capabilities.

Thanks!
Brian Goleno,
Product Manager - AI Ops

2 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Us too!! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: