Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feedback on the Ruby Agent’s Developer Mode

developer-mode
rfb

Are you using the Ruby agent’s developer mode capability? If so, we want to hear from you!

Developer Mode is a feature unique to the New Relic Ruby Agent. It has been around since the earliest days of the agent and, if we’re being honest, hasn’t really gotten much attention since. In order to continue to focus our efforts on ensuring that newrelic.com is the first, best place to look to understand your digital business, we are planning to remove this local-only functionality in a (yet to be determined) post-4.0 release of the New Relic Ruby agent.

That said, we are very interested in understanding how you may be using developer mode today, so that we can look for other ways to address those use cases in a more sustainable way going forward.

If you’re a current user of developer mode, please take a moment to complete this

short survey

It’s only 3 questions, but will help us shape the future of the Ruby Agent.

We have removed support for developer mode starting with the 4.1.0 release of the ruby agent. If you have need of this capability you can continue to leverage 4.0.0 and earlier versions of the agent for that purpose.

Thank you to those who took the time to respond to the survey and provide your feedback and comments. We will take your input into account as we consider future updates to the ruby agent.

I don’t use developer mode often, but just discovered today that its been removed. I’ve found it really useful for debugging slow pages, queries, etc during development. I guess I’ll be downgrading my version when I want to use it :frowning:

You have a couple of options:

1. You could just specify a different application name when running development builds (e.g. “MyApp-Dev”) via config or environment variable and use New Relic as you would normally. This has the advantage of giving you access to the latest New Relic capabilities. In addition, it would enable you to run multiple development builds and compare performance to validate fixes or assess impact of changes. You can always clean up later if you want and delete the dev app when you are no longer using it.

2. If you don’t want to go that route, you could use a bundler group for development that specifies the 3.x version of newrelic as a dependency while continuing to use the 4.x+ in staging/production.

Sad to see this feature removed, it was extremely useful.
I have now filled out the survey, but guess I am a little late.

Likewise late to this game, just found out this was removed as I was upgrading the gems. I can live without it, but I guess I would have wanted to see developer mode extracted into a separate gem first before being removed.