Feeding Health Map to Insights

The views are fantastic… Is there any way to show a health map on a specific application data app or dashboard?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

As far as I know, Health Maps are only visible in the New Relic UI. It is not possible to add them to an Insights dashboard. Good feature idea, though!

Yes @philweber, it would be nice to add them to a data app overview.

1 Like

+1 on that …

That is a great feature idea @reopelle.scott & @David.Bell

I’ll get your +1s added internally. I’ll also get a poll added to your first post @reopelle.scott :smiley:

1 Like

In case the internal NR guys haven’t seen what I’m working on… here’s a link. https://insights.newrelic.com/apps/accounts/1681014/nonspecific

I’ve documented all of the queries for other users to pick up and use. My goal is to establish a “Site Reliability” type of reporting to create a single unambiguous representation of performance, as well as, enhance our business relationships and accountability within our company. I am seeing some good traction
within our organisation and really want to give all of the people replying to my questions the credit. In a very short time, I was able to stand up some pretty great reporting.

1 Like

Wow that’s a really great Data App @reopelle.scott - getting that set up in a short time is a great achievement and it seems like others in your organisation will definitely benefit from that hugely!

@reopelle.scott don’t suppose this is something you could share outside of your org is it ?
If @RyanVeitch thinks it’s awesome, then you certainly got my attention :grin:

1 Like

@David.Bell, I created a post to help other users. It can be found here: Creating a template data app

The basis behind the reporting is the book by Google on Site Reliability Engineering. I am developing a similar process for my company, without the engineering part. Trying to create a quantifiable record of how each service is performing, hoping it will create a method for our leadership to identify poor performance and prioritize work.

New Relic also embraces this and information can be found here: https://newrelic.com/resource/site-reliability-engineering

1 Like

Excellent.
I’ve been looking into the SRE area myself, your stuff looks very useful.
Many thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Something that helped tremendously, was creating that model and expanding the queries to varied times. The problem I’ve seen is that when you ask an application team, “What is your expected response time?” or some other expected metric, they look at you with a certain glaze in their eyes… so creating expanded charts, and making a filter to select the application helps you and the team to understand how they baseline.

2 Likes