New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

How to exempt a single host from alerts

alerts

I have a number of infrastructure alerts setup that I want applied to almost all my hosts, and I don’t know how to easily exempt a single host from that list.

For example - I have an alert that goes off when a host doesn’t report for 5 minutes, but I have one EC2 host that is only turned on as needed. I would like other monitoring on this host (Disk Usage, RAM, etc), so I would prefer not to remove the NR client.

I know I can create a group with all the hosts except for this one, but then maintenance of this group becomes difficult (Every time I add a new host, I would have to manually add it to this “all-but-one” group)

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Hi @john.ross interesting question, narrowing down to host is available in infra alerts?
In my case, I had filtered out the host I dont need.

Another important thing to see.
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/infrastructure/new-relic-infrastructure/infrastructure-alert-conditions/infrastructure-alerts-add-edit-or-view-host-alert-information#alert-nrql-error

Hope this answers your questions.

thanks

Hey @john.ross - My colleague @gjohnson wrote this great level up post on using Infrastructure and it’s API to set up exclusion filtering for Infrastructure Alerts.

Let us know if this helps you:

Fantastic. Looks like at least one of these options will work for me!

Great @john.ross - let us know how you get on with that.